• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I just finished reading the Grand Jury Report and I keep rubbing my eyes, as there must be a type-o in the wording.

I believe it should read Commissioner C. Jones, not C. Meadows...

People need to pull your heads out of the sand. C. Jones has held the hand of her ex-assistant, Jason Catalano for years. She got him his job in code enforcement (he had NO EXPERIENCE) and his entry level salary was higher than all others. (Doesn't that sound like part of the GJ Report?), its true, go fact check it.

Mr. Catalano was also just recently "selected" as a County Planner. Another job where he has absolutely no experience and apparently he was more qualified than several candidates that hold Masters Degrees in Planning and related fields. Hope that makes all of you feel warm and fuzzy about who the County is hiring for positions these days. No favoritism here.

Bill Eddins and Mike Adkinson, shame on you. You selectively enforce law and go out of your way to protect those close to you and close to your political aspirations and others agendas. If you can convene a grand jury to look into County H.R. issues, you should convene another and look into the hiring of Mr. Catalano for Planner. What's good for one is good for all, no? Unless you both don't care for or like one commissioner and then favor another, or two or three...

Hey, by the way...Where did the money go??? We seem to forget that there is money missing and probably a lot more missing. But the missing money is apparently not very important. What is important is using the power and authority of a Grand Jury to attempt to tarnish the reputation of a County Commissioner that actually does some good for South Walton and is not on the take from crooks.

You were provided with much more information that outlines a literal road map of corruption in Walton County. None of it was in the GJ Report, so I have to assume it was not presented to the GJ...I wonder why? Does the information lead you to an uncomfortable place? Shame on each of you.

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
John G., I don't have time to "go fact check it," but I would certainly like to see documents that support your contention. You sound like you have "fact-checked" it. How about posting the proof? If you're saying there are documents, post them. Otherwise, it just seems like a rant.

Btw, is there anybody locally that you approve of? Just wondering. I've never seen you post a comment suggesting anybody has ever done anything right. Makes me wonder why you live amongst so many people you detest.

Another thing: "Where did the money go?" It didn't go anywhere. It stayed in the developers pocket. Wasn't that apparent? It's not like the developer tendered the correct amount to the Planning Department and it then disappeared. I'm unsure of whether you have a firm grasp of this issue.

Your attacks on the Grand Jury are unwarranted. You do realize, don't you, that they are chosen at random from the citizens of Walton County? I think they are pretty much beyond reproach. My opinion is that they did a yeoman's job with this issue and put in quite a bit of time listening to the witnesses and reaching their conclusions.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
graytonbeachguy

According to the lawsuit filed by Hal Laird the Director of Planning position is currently held by Wayne Dyess, so I guess my question is, what is the difference between a County Planner and a Director of Planning or are they 2 separate positions?

The lawsuit does infer that someone in the County's employ Senior to Melissa Ward (at the time, 2008) may have benefited from the under-invoicing.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
First, I didn't knock the members of the GJ. They only made decisions based off of what was actually presented to them.

My knock was to the sheriff and Bill Eddins, both should be ashamed for not digging deeper and what appears to me as protection for their friends. Then to hold a press conference as if they've saved the world... Come on guys, some of us are smarter than that.

Commissioner C. Jones did exactly the same thing Commissioner Meadows is accused of. Its called Jason Catalano.
Problem is the GJ only heard from the Planning Department Employee (S.M.) on Commissioner Meadows.

You see, its all on how the material was presented to the GJ.

IMO, it was presented in such a manner to make the sheriff and Bill Eddins appear to be pro-active in the fight against wrong doing in CoWal.

While the reality is they had a lot more information at their disposal and the chose not to present it.

I don't need to post anything for you. Go do your own homework. If you don't believe me or think its a rant, that's fine, you are one of the sheeple that goes along to get along. I stand by my statement about Commissioner Jones and her actions.

Seven months of time intensive investigation, numerous records, documents, thousands of emails gone over. A full time investigator from WCSO and one from the State Attorney's office and the results are:

• Pat B is alleged to have lied, not once but twice...(stemming from interviews conducted towards the end of the investigation).
  • A commissioner is alleged to have gotten someone a job...
  • Planning department is the most screwed up department in the county...

The End.

It took them seven months to determine that? Pathetic.

As for Hal Laird, read why he was fired in county documents, not the media sensationalism. He was fired due to negligent work within the planning department and insubordination to his supervisor, Wayne Dyess. I believe he also called a Walton County Citizen that filed a complaint against him and questioned the citizen about why they complained.

Sad day for honest people.

Patriot Games

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2014
Why are there no calls to can the planning director. I believe he has been there since Blackshear left and it sounds like he has let a mess continue to be a mess. I believe the planning director is voted on by the BCC, but I'm not sure. Sounds like we need a fresh start. It would be nice if they did an open search to find someone who has the qualifications and the track record to put this train back on the track. Funny they didn't even mention his name in all the planning department findings.

Patriot Games

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2014
graytonbeachguy

According to the lawsuit filed by Hal Laird the Director of Planning position is currently held by Wayne Dyess, so I guess my question is, what is the difference between a County Planner and a Director of Planning or are they 2 separate positions?

The lawsuit does infer that someone in the County's employ Senior to Melissa Ward (at the time, 2008) may have benefited from the under-invoicing.

Misty,
I had the same question so I called the front desk. Apparently there are several county planners at different levels of qualifications and pay levels. Wayne Dyess is the Director over all planning department functions except engineering. She didn't say who was over engineering and truthfully seemed put out with my questions.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
First...I know Hal Laird. I cannot picture him being hostile to a citizen. Insubordination? This isn't the military or the Sheriff's Office.

I still wonder how you reprimand a county commissioner. During the 1970's the governor removed one of our commissions from office mid-term; I remember it as my father was unlucky enough to get the appointment to fill out the rest of the term. Whereas the County Commission can reprimand the County Administration, there is no one to reprimand the County Commission. Perhaps they are relying on public embarrassment or the voters to handle it. The problem with that is, in spite of this bump in the road, Ms. Meadows is very responsive to her constituents. Two years from now no one will remember this.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
John G...Jason Catalano (as far as I know) works for the Planning and Development Dept as a Code enforcement officer not a county planner and was elected to the School Board in 2014.

No one ever said nepotism doesn't exist in Walton County either.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
John G...Jason Catalano (as far as I know) works for the Planning and Development Dept as a Code enforcement officer not a county planner and was elected to the School Board in 2014.

No one ever said nepotism doesn't exist in Walton County either.

Misty:

My facts are correct and true.

Jason Catalano WAS a code enforcement officer. But let's start at the beginning.

He was hired on as C. Jones' personal aide/assistant her first go around as commissioner. He was a Roofer prior to that.

Once her term was up, she helped get him the job at Code Enforcement, he had Zero Experience, yet was immediately hired. His hourly rate was higher that most.

He was quickly promoted to Senior Code Enforcement Officer. His hourly rate was higher than most.

The County just hired Mr. Catalano as a Planner 1. He was selected for this Planner position over several far more qualified candidates. Several had Masters Degrees in Planning or similar fields.

Care to explain that? Sounds like we need another Grand Jury...

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
First...I know Hal Laird. I cannot picture him being hostile to a citizen. Insubordination? This isn't the military or the Sheriff's Office.

I still wonder how you reprimand a county commissioner. During the 1970's the governor removed one of our commissions from office mid-term; I remember it as my father was unlucky enough to get the appointment to fill out the rest of the term. Whereas the County Commission can reprimand the County Administration, there is no one to reprimand the County Commission. Perhaps they are relying on public embarrassment or the voters to handle it. The problem with that is, in spite of this bump in the road, Ms. Meadows is very responsive to her constituents. Two years from now no one will remember this.

The only recourse Citizens really have are Ethics Complaints and I'm not so sure that's even a viable option. Filed enough of them to know that. Criminal penalties which applied to violation of Ethics Codes were eliminated in 1974 in favor of "administrative enforcement".