Misc Grayton Grand final approval

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by FoX, Apr 2, 2005.

1. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

Odom's Grayton Beach project gets final OK

An appellate court decision handed down on March 24 has cleared the way for developer Jay Odom of Destin to build The Grayton Grand, a hotel, condominium and retail project in Grayton Beach in Walton County.

The development earned the county's approval two years ago but has been held up in legal limbo because opponents sued to challenge the county's decision.

Following Thursday's ruling by the 1st District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee, "Grayton Grand is grand," Odom said. "Anybody now who says this project doesn't meet every requirement known to man is probably just not living in reality," he said. "Today is a good day for property rights in Walton County."

Two years ago, members of the community groups Beach to Bay Connection, South Walton Community Council and Blue Mountain Beach Community Association, as well as South Walton residents Linda and Lee Eyer, sued the county. They said county commissioners violated the county's Comprehensive Plan when they approved the project.

They contended that The Grayton Grand would harm wetlands and that it is not a conforming use for the Grayton Beach area. In 2004, a Walton circuit judge upheld the county's decision to approve the project, which will be built on 7.35 acres on County Road 283 near Logan Lane.

Those suing the county appealed that decision to the 1st District Court of Appeals, which ruled, without comment, eight days after hearing the case on March 16. Grayton Beach is a traditional, small beach community that's one of the oldest beach villages in the Southeast.

Plans for The Grayton Grand include a 75-room hotel, 78 condominium units, 1,000 square feet of retail space, a 3,600 square foot exhibition area, a 6,000 square foot restaurant and a 160 seat conference center. Site work on The Grayton Grand has already started, and the buildings should start going up in about eight months, Odom said.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  2. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Would someone be so kind and post a map of this site? :cool:

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

It is on the NE corner of Scenic 30-A and 283 (Grayton Road), across from Mystic Porte and the Shops of Grayton.

4. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Hmm. So to get to the beach, hotel guests are going to walk down 283 competing with all those SUVs also trying to get on to the beach? That should be interesting. Or are they putting in a shuttle system or something?

5. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Stretch Hummers would be nice for a beach shuttle. :roll: :lol:

6. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Does anyone know of any cases in Walton County where opponents challenged due to Comprehensive Plan non-conformance and actually won? That would be refreshing.

7. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Well, after reading about the B&G club, I guess the opposition to the Boys & Girls club would be one example. Thank god 30-A is being protected from evil Boys and Girls club developers. :twisted:

8. Cork On the Ocean

Cork On the Ocean directionally challenged

9. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

Kurt, Here's how you prevail against evil developers. Assemble a dozen [or two] envelopes filled with thousands in cash. Give the entire amount to your attorneys[also evil]. Request that they keep half and "distribute" the rest. You will win. You'll also help kickstart the economy. I'm good for 1.87 Canadian.

10. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Jay Odom said at today's chamber lunch that Grayton Grand Hotel project would begin construction this Fall.

11. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Was told today that the Seaside employee parking, which was on this property, is now going to be at the church parking lot on 98, east of 395. The large church with all the flags. Not so convenient for the employees.

12. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

How exactly are they going to put a 75-room hotel, 78 condominium units, 1,000 square feet of retail space, a 3,600 square foot exhibition area, a 6,000 square foot restaurant and a 160 seat conference center on that lot?

13. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Very tightly.

14. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

$$$$$$$$$$$$ already in the right pockets you can bet. Remember this Jay Odom, the developer that got old 98 detoured around so he could build more houses in Destiny on the beach side of old 98.

15. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

There was effort to keep him from building on wetlands but not sure it was successful. If Murphy oil can do it I guess I can too.

16. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

Yes, but Murphy Oil is still sitting unopen.

17. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

They got approval to open. Probably waiting on stock.

18. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

19. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I know when I'm looking for my permanent residence I like to make sure it has world class conference/convention space attached.

20. deasnealy

deasnealy Beach Lover

Cannot wait until all those folks flow on Grayton Beach and collide with the local car traffic. Next, will be a call to remove all vehicles and then I am sure there will be a call for the county to build bathrooms and parking. With mixed emotions, we just sold our Grayton home and unfortunately I believe we timed it just right.