• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ComputerWorks

Beach Lover
Dec 21, 2010
seaside
This Memorial day weekend we had 9 calls from out of state owners of rentals here around 30a to replace Wi-Fi routers and none of them needed replacement (one needed resetting).

You rarely if ever have to depress the routers reset button, here's what you do to re-connect, simply unplug the power to the modem and the router, plug the modem in first, wait about a minute or for the 4 green lights to light solid then plug in your router in that order and voilà..

lp.jpg

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
We had to do that exact thing 3x a day! We would have Internet, then it would disappear----beyond frustrating!!! Other times just slow as molasses. Felt like dial up modem days---my kids were dying!

We have MediaCom, is there not a better option out there???

ComputerWorks

Beach Lover
Dec 21, 2010
seaside
If you had to do that 3 times a day that is either Mediacom or the router but that's easy to tell, if your line connectivity light on the modem is blinking Mediacom would be down at that time. Mediacom can see on their end if they are dropping transmission to your home 3 times a day as well.

Unfortunately there's not that much in the way of internet service provider choices in our area as of yet. Fiber optic is trickling in and new technology is on the horizon but not soon enough. We've had many discussions and rants over the years on this very topic so your not alone.

The best we can do is make sure our routers are not on the floor and up on a desk or higher on a shelf, free of papers or books so they can breathe (never stacked, they get hot, I've seen this often), clear of any other wireless devices right next to them. And use a wpa2 password vs. wep as that is easily hacked, 2.4ghz and 5ghz where appropriate. With the aforementioned and a clean computer you should receive the advertised speed of what the company has promised.

Thank you for your reply I hope my tips can help.

Warm regards,

Mark