• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Guys and girls, I have what I think is a pretty special video of both an Oak Snake and Cottonmouth. I was unable to put music to it, which I think always makes it better. But I'll go ahead and post it now because, well, because I want to get it out to you ;)

Both snakes receive close-up footage and interesting angles. Both snakes pose for the camera, too. As stated previously, I may be out by months end. And while I walked amongst the towering pine and stately oak today, I thought of how I will miss this area. Although I plan on returning, you never know in life.

I thought of myself as a young boy, and I wondered what that young boy would have thought of my adventures here in paradise over the past two years. My young self wandered through the woods, traveled along banks of bayous and trekked beside ditches. And I explored.

I think my young self would watch in amazement at some of the things I've uncovered here on 30A. I wish my kids could be here with me, as my son kind of seems like my young self re-incarnated. I'd love to explore more with him. Well, I hope you will like this little episode of 'Another Walk with Mike'.

Btw, I encountered something special today and will share it with you soon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDcxBeBSWKI"]YouTube- oak snake and fierce cottonmouth[/ame]

North Lake

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
Guys and girls, I have what I think is a pretty special video of both an Oak Snake and Cottonmouth. I was unable to put music to it, which I think always makes it better. But I'll go ahead and post it now because, well, because I want to get it out to you ;)

Both snakes receive close-up footage and interesting angles. Both snakes pose for the camera, too. As stated previously, I may be out by months end. And while I walked amongst the towering pine and stately oak today, I thought of how I will miss this area. Although I plan on returning, you never know in life.

I thought of myself as a young boy, and I wondered what that young boy would have thought of my adventures here in paradise over the past two years. My young self wandered through the woods, traveled along banks of bayous and trekked beside ditches. And I explored.

I think my young self would watch in amazement at some of the things I've uncovered here on 30A. I wish my kids could be here with me, as my son kind of seems like my young self re-incarnated. I'd love to explore more with him. Well, I hope you will like this little episode of 'Another Walk with Mike'.

Btw, I encountered something special today and will share it with you soon.

YouTube- oak snake and fierce cottonmouth

Utterly fascinating! How do you get so close to the snakes? The oak snake was so inquisitive and fearless.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Bravo again Mike! The oak snake was so sweet! I really do think that was a kiss! I loved seeing that as I am a huge snake charmer from way back. We saw many varieties when living in the country in LA, but I've never seen/heard of a white oak snake. Thanks!

Now on to the cottonmouth. I HOPE you have a very powerful lens and weren't actually that close lol! You could see the pits it was such a close up. We had one at our place called Mr Big and he stayed down in the swamp and never came up to our house. I wonder if he misses us?

Funny little note: my dad always said the James Carville looked just like a cottonmouth moccasin!! LOL I can hear him now! :D (disclaimer: not intended to stir the political pot)

Thanks so much for posting. And your children are PRECIOUS!

G

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Mike, keep us informed of your plans unless they are very personal. Hope I am not being intrusive. It has been great watching your videos and I had hoped to meet you on the next trip down and possibly doing some snorkleing with you. You never know, that may still happen. Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck!! It has been a pleasure. Dan

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Utterly fascinating! How do you get so close to the snakes? The oak snake was so inquisitive and fearless.

Thanks for using the word 'utterly' with 'fascinating'. I liked that. Makes me feel pretty good. I get that close because I have my camera mounted on a tri-pod. It is not extended, but gives me about a foot and a half maybe of space between me and the snakes.

Other than the Oak snake, which was damn quick and because I've only photographed a couple dozen of them, I'm not as accustomed to their nuances. But they can't kill me so no bother.

But with the poisonous snakes I know, generally, their behavior and movements, so I can get in close. And with the tri-pod and camera in front of me, I feel shielded. Even though I am often within striking range, I watch the snakes closely and look for any twitch. I can read them pretty well. I've had many times where I've called it, saying, 'It's about to strike', and then it does.

But I am not a half inch away from those vipers. The camera, though, is. Which makes for some intriguing shots and glimpses into these wonderful specimens. I'm glad you liked it and even happier that you let me know about it, North Lake. Validation!

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Mike, keep us informed of your plans unless they are very personal. Hope I am not being intrusive. It has been great watching your videos and I had hoped to meet you on the next trip down and possibly doing some snorkleing with you. You never know, that may still happen. Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck!! It has been a pleasure. Dan

Nope, I kinda put myself out there. I appreciate your kind interest. I have thought of going to the Keys or the Rockies or Costa Rica or who knows where. Somewhere exciting where I can 'feel' life exploding around me. Like here with the wildlife I've encountered.

But after visiting my kids last week for Halloween and for my son's birthday, I can no longer deal with the pain of being away from them. While in no way do I want to be in Houma Louisiana (nothing against it-it's actually a nice place) but since my kids are there...

A couple years after my divorce I moved here. I knew it was a beautiful place, having come to the panhandle since I was a kid. And I discovered that 30A was even more beautiful. The book that I published did not take me to the promise land. I wanted to live here half time and be back in Louisiana roughly half time to mentor to my kiddies. I hoped to be writing other books or have started a business here. I thought of taking people snorkeling or on guided trips but sometimes turning something you love into a job isn't the best policy. Don't know.

But, regardless, nothing, money wise, happened. I have spent two wonderful years here and thank all who commented on my videos and showed me such kindness. You know, sI bought this digital camera for Christmas last year and since then felt honored to share the videos I shot. I was happy to show others what incredible nature we have all around us here. Hopefully it will inspire someone to make sure no matter what future growth occurs here along 30A, we will allow Nature to co-exist around us.

I never contacted any news media or publications to publisize my videos or try to get someone to maybe look at having me do an adventure or wildlife show or something. But that might have been a good idea. I basically have been just living passionately and sharing what I uncover and having you guys thank me for it and express how you percieve it... that is uplifting.

I have thought of putting together a video/dvd, but if I'm no longer here along 30A, I wouldn't be able to distribute it.

Wow, that was long winded. Sorry, I'm a writer ;) Actually, I'm just me. Well, the stars are out tonight. I'm going to take another look. Thanks again.