• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

doGooD

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
My good friend brought up to me today that my future babies diapers will outlast my babies babies.

I can't stop thinking about this, but I haven't started my research yet.

So I am going to SOWALIZE my search firstly.

Does anyone have ideas on the most green way to handle this inevitable waste?

Obviously, I have thought about cloth but cloth requires washing in chemicals... water... I just trying to figure out the best solution while someone out there may have already figured this out.
:dunno:

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
My good friend brought up to me today that my future babies diapers will outlast my babies babies.

Obviously, I have thought about cloth but cloth requires washing in chemicals... water... I just trying to figure out the best solution while someone out there may have already figured this out.
I had some green diapers when mine were babies. :eek:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Sensible....here....:rotfl:. JK. I know there are lots of those people around. What about organicmama? She should have an answer.

:lol:
Yeah, I was thinking OM. She's probably got some sensible advice....

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Let me try this again. Little man just deleted what I was typing.:eek:

What are your questions about green diapers? Do you want to know more about green versions of disposables or where cloth diapers have evolved to? I've been on the cloth diaper and the Pamper ends of things with three kids, so I am pretty good at being able to explain everything, including washing them, which isn't bad at all these days. No dunking needed.:cool:

Ask away and I will answer.:D

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

BTW, you don't need chemicals to wash in. We use Ecover laundry detergent from FTHOI and white vinegar for rinsing. Bleach is actually very, very bad for the cotton & for the diaper covers. It destroys them. White vinegar (name brands, not cheap kind) is veggie based and gets them clean, white and no pee smells. if we aren't headed to FTHOI, Publix carries Seventh Generation & at times we have used ALL Free & Clear.

We have a diaper champ (which holds either cloth or disposables). If there's poop, we attached a bidet to kids' toilet & spray the diaper off & flush. Nothing dunked or touched.

(Only accident over the years was Mr. OM was rushing & sprayed the thing too hard just in the right direction for poop to shoot up in his mouth, which was of course, wide open.:rotfl:I still laugh at him 4 years later.:love:)

Then you just put the diapers in the Champ & wash a load about every 2 days. Our washing machine has an extra rinse cycle that is really helpful. If you have covers & cloth diapers, you don't dry the covers, as they are usually made of PLU and will breakdown in the heat of the dryer, but they don't take long to dry.

We bought our diapers at www.diaperjunction.com the last time around with #3. A good resource is also www.diaperpin.com.

I really want to sew diapers for little man because I need new ones, but I don't have enough experience sewing. I have patterns and a machine, but it scares me to think of sewing them.:eek: I'm afraid of screwing up royally.