• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

caperjackie

Beach Crab
Apr 9, 2006
Recently purchased a boat in Destin which has an unusual spinnaker sail representing the Green Knight Lounge. Can any one give me any information on this? Thanks

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
caperjackie said:
Recently purchased a boat in Destin which has an unusual spinnaker sail representing the Green Knight Lounge. Can any one give me any information on this? Thanks

This used to be a place in Destin, probably in the late 60's or early 70's. There used to be a giant green knight statue outside. It was on hwy 98 and at the time not much else was around it. I was very young but remember seeing it from the road.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
caperjackie said:
:welcome: CJ....hope you have some fun with the new sails!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The Green Knight lounge was on the corner of Hwy 98 and Main St - I think there is a CVS pharmacy there now. The statue stood for years and was a Destin landmark...until in roughly the mid-90s some of the foo-foo, nose-in-the-air folks that had moved to Destin decided it was unsightly. :roll:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I remember it vividly. It was right across the street from Silver Beach Motel & Cottages where we always stayed. At that point, it was probably the only package store between Ft. Walton and PC.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
JB said:
I remember it vividly. It was right across the street from Silver Beach Motel & Cottages where we always stayed. At that point, it was probably the only package store between Ft. Walton and PC.

JB, we stayed at Silver Beach Motel & Cottages also for several years. We were there the last year they were going to be opened. We had to find another place to stay, and that is how we found Seagrove Villa's and Motel!!!!!! I loved Silver Beach!!!!

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
I remember the Green Knight fondly. Package stores were considered quite exotic then, because Walton County was a "dry" county. The Green Knight was the closest place to the beaches where one could buy alcohol, since it was just across the county line. And I remember the Silver Sands, too. Time for a story...

My aunt and cousins used to come down every summer from Montgomery, bound for the beaches. Kids dying to go, mom not so eager. They would stop to visit us in DeFuniak and my dad would regale his sister, my aunt, with stories about how all the gangsters down in Destin would cut off her fingers to rob her of the very large diamonds that she wore at all times. She would have preferred the loss of a few digits to being thought of a woman without her diamonds, I think. Needless to say, the trip to Silver Sands would be cancelled and we would pile in the huge black Buick for daytrips to the beach.

On one such trip, the radiator overheated between DeFuniak and Freeport. My aunt, terrified of the gangster element, made us kids roll up all the windows and pray for rescue. It was probably 90ish outside, black car, awful conditions. Once SHE was finally pitted out, parched, and more than ready for a proper ladies room, she began to reconsider orders. A station wagon with two traveling salesmen, complete strangers, stopped to help us. She piled out of the car, loaded all six of the cousins into the station wagon without a second thought. Whereupon, we all drove to Panama City Beach and repaired to some restaurant where auntie bought us all a beer. I was the oldest cousin, at the tender age of 10. She was something else!

Happy Easter, everyone and see you next week.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Donna said:
I remember the Green Knight fondly. Package stores were considered quite exotic then, because Walton County was a "dry" county. The Green Knight was the closest place to the beaches where one could buy alcohol, since it was just across the county line. And I remember the Silver Sands, too. Time for a story...

My aunt and cousins used to come down every summer from Montgomery, bound for the beaches. Kids dying to go, mom not so eager. They would stop to visit us in DeFuniak and my dad would regale his sister, my aunt, with stories about how all the gangsters down in Destin would cut off her fingers to rob her of the very large diamonds that she wore at all times. She would have preferred the loss of a few digits to being thought of a woman without her diamonds, I think. Needless to say, the trip to Silver Sands would be cancelled and we would pile in the huge black Buick for daytrips to the beach.

On one such trip, the radiator overheated between DeFuniak and Freeport. My aunt, terrified of the gangster element, made us kids roll up all the windows and pray for rescue. It was probably 90ish outside, black car, awful conditions. Once SHE was finally pitted out, parched, and more than ready for a proper ladies room, she began to reconsider orders. A station wagon with two traveling salesmen, complete strangers, stopped to help us. She piled out of the car, loaded all six of the cousins into the station wagon without a second thought. Whereupon, we all drove to Panama City Beach and repaired to some restaurant where auntie bought us all a beer. I was the oldest cousin, at the tender age of 10. She was something else!

Happy Easter, everyone and see you next week.

I Love your stories, Donna!! You should write a book. :clap_1: :clap_1:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Donna, I was hoping this thread would bring a story from you!! You never disappoint!! :clap_1:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
destindreamin said:
Donna, I was hoping this thread would bring a story from you!! You never disappoint!! :clap_1:

...and that's the truth!!! :clap_1: