1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Grocery stores?

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by nick9, Jun 20, 2005.

1. nick9

nick9 Beach Crab

Hi, I'm staying at Seagrove Beach for a week starting the 25th and am wondering where the major grocery stores are related to that area. Years ago, I remember having to go all the way in to Destin to get groceries at Bruno's I believe. Are there any larger grocery stores like Publix within a few miles of Seagrove?

Thanks, Nick

2. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

There is now a Publix on the road conecting 98 to 30A at the Seagrove intersection. Brand new and very nice. :cool:

3. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Yes, there's a brand new Publix right in Seagrove, on 395. There are also new Publix's on either en dof 30-a, in Sandestin and Panama City Beach, both on 98.

4. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Can we just go ahead and state for the record that Publix is the best (non organic) grocery store in the U.S. :idontno:

5. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Don't forget our smaller markets like Modica Market (Seaside) and Grayton General Store (intersection of 30-A and DeFuniak Street in Grayton). Modica Market still offers a great selection of specialty items not found elsewhere. And the General Store has a pretty good selection now, including daily fresh Crispy Cremes and the New York Times. A bit more expensive, but not so bad considering gasoline prices and the value one places on their leisure time.

6. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

Yes Otter we can!!!!!! :clap_1: ha ha ha :D

7. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

8. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

Great smoothies.

9. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Publix has been good for years, at least since 1972 from my experience. As a native Atlantan, I was surprised at how much better Publix stores were in a small city like Gainesville than those in Atlanta at that point in time. It was great being a student living near the University of Florida golf course and within walking distance of a Publix. Hey, it was/is also great ... to be ... a Florida Gator. But I digress. Sorry.

Nevertheless, if I can purchase something at Modica, I buy it there just to support the unique atmosphere and impeccable service there. Mr. Modica is so awesome, and if that store were to fail, it would be a huge blow to the upscale character of 30-A. If I can't find something at Modica or Goatfeathers, *then* I go to Publix.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  10. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

According to a manager we talked to, the Modicas are responsible for a good chunk of the organics/Greenwise section at the Destin Publix, and probably the Walton County stores as well. I'm not sure exactly how that relationship works, but it was mentioned to us when we asked why a couple products we loved were discontinued.

11. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

I lived just down from the golf course also. Across from the law school.

12. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Freaky! We were at Point West on 34th. My husband and I rode our bikes up SW 2nd Avenue and parked them at the ME (him) and math (me) buildings - parking was too much of a hassle. I was a calculus TA and held my office hours at the Broward pool so I could keep my tan - LOL. BTW my husband and I celebrated our 35th anniversary today!

My sister is also a Gator - ISE major - Tri Delt - lives in Irving, TX - owns three properties in the 30-A area.

13. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

14. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Thanks!

15. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

Perhaps one could buy Krispy Kremes!

16. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

How many 3 woods was it to Leonardos pizza?

17. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Oh, man! Leonardo's was da bomb! Which location u b talkin' 'bout, yo? The fancy one from the old days that was farther east on University Avenue or the fast food one near the 13th Street/University Avenue intersection?

BTW did u ever play golf on the UF golf course and have a live gator plop into a pond a few feet away from you? Kind of scary. Actually I remember walking to class at UF and having to cross to the other side of the street because a real live gator was sunning itself on the sidewalk. THIS IS GATOR COUNTRY!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  18. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

I almost ran over one on my mountain bike behind Lake Alice. :lol:

19. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

I saw one take down a small white dog at Lake Alice. I guess it thought the dog was a marshmallow. I never understood why gators like marshmallows.

20. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

All I know is that there were some pinball machines there, I was very hungry for some reason, and my throat was dry.