• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Tourism impact in Walton County up to $688 million this year over $430 million last year, acc to TDC. Room rates average $180/night.

Bay County has 18,000 rental units in inventory, expected to grow to 29,000 by 2006. 11,000 are under construction now. The new International airport scheduled for completion in 2008 will be attractive to the cruise ship industry, as well as national and international conferences and associations.
Bay just spent $88 million on the Hathaway bridge and are 4-laning highways 77 and 79 (north routes to I-10).

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Oldtimer said:
Is that GOOD NEWS? Guess that's why I'm "Oldtimer", I liked the good ole days.

Just the facts Ma'm :)

I find it amazing and frightening, the growth in Panama City. There are a dozen or so high rises going up now. It will look like Gulf Shores before long.

All those rooms will add tens of thousands of daily trippers into SoWal. We won't be able to handle the traffic.

It's scary to me that people here hardly talk about what's going on in PC.

kurt said:
Oldtimer said:

I find it amazing and frightening, the growth in Panama City. There are a dozen or so high rises going up now. It will look like Gulf Shores before long.

All those rooms will add tens of thousands of daily trippers into SoWal. We won't be able to handle the traffic.

Good point! Years ago we could not afford the rent in Destin so we started going to GS and OB. Highrises everywhere and the rents were 20% + less that Destin and they were having to offer 1 or 2 nights free because of all the available inventory. On the other hand the people that vacation at PCB are very different than the peeps that stay along 30A. Waaaaaaaaay Different!!! Maybe the affect won't be so bad on rentals. Just my

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
RiverOtter said:
kurt said:
Oldtimer said:

Good point! Years ago we could not afford the rent in Destin so we started going to GS and OB. Highrises everywhere and the rents were 20% + less that Destin and they were having to offer 1 or 2 nights free because of all the available inventory. On the other hand the people that vacation at PCB are very different than the peeps that stay along 30A. Waaaaaaaaay Different!!! Maybe the affect won't be so bad on rentals. Just my
twocents.gif

I was speaking more about traffic and people visiting than rents.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It ain't Grayton, but it is close, Blue Mtn Bch. I understand from some developer guys I know, that they are backing a project for a new restaurant in the Village at Blue Mountain. Chef Tim Creehan(sp?) will be overseeing the project, and it will have some 10,000sf spread over 2 stories. Upstairs will be upscale beach-casual dining, with a sushi bar and upscale lounge in the lower level for a bit of night life, without the "club scene." I think it will be called the Beach Walk Cafe at Blue Mtn Beach. They could have a great seasonal market. Don't get too excited yet -- they probably won't open until 2006. Best of luck guys.

Smiling JOe said:
It ain't Grayton, but it is close, Blue Mtn Bch. I understand from some developer guys I know, that they are backing a project for a new restaurant in the Village at Blue Mountain. Chef Tim Creehan(sp?) will be overseeing the project, and it will have some 10,000sf spread over 2 stories. Upstairs will be upscale beach-casual dining, with a sushi bar and upscale lounge in the lower level for a bit of night life, without the "club scene." I think it will be called the Beach Walk Cafe at Blue Mtn Beach. They could have a great seasonal market. Don't get too excited yet -- they probably won't open until 2006. Best of luck guys.

Sounds cool but I hope it doesn't hurt Smiling Fish. I love that place. 8)