• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Is it really septic tanks to blame? Obviously I would think that is logical, but the lack of information makes me wonder. Would think if it was so simple we could do something. Is it septic, is it dog or cat waste, what is causing it? We need to know what is causing it to fix it.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Is it really septic tanks to blame? Obviously I would think that is logical, but the lack of information makes me wonder. Would think if it was so simple we could do something. Is it septic, is it dog or cat waste, what is causing it? We need to know what is causing it to fix it.

Good question. I would guess, and it's only a guess, that it is both as well as farm animal waste that I would not be surprised to see turn up in the bay. I have heard and don't know if it is fact or not that there is a test that can identity this, but it is expensive. It seems to me we need more sampling locations, including the dune lakes, and more beach locations and more bay locations. And we need more frequent testing. The limited tests that we get now will stop over the winter, according to the state health dept website. Budget cutbacks.
Test results would need to be correlated to weather and runoff. It's true we had tons of rain but there were some bad results before the heavy rains started, if I remember correctly.
I don't see how we can find a solution until we know what is really going on. And it won't be cheap - a study should be designed by educated and experienced professional scientists, and more testing will be expensive also.
Oh, and we would also need to identify all the septic tank locations. I suspect this might be harder than it appears at first glance.
So - a thorough, science-based investigation with recommended solutions.
Anyone out there see the money or the political will for this?

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I'm hoping this year's results are a fluke associated with the rains. We still have very high water in the cypress dome behind our house, so I'm not sure if that implies defective runoff into Western Lake or not. This water might be sitting fairly stagnant coursing through old Seagrove resulting in leaching of dirty crud toward the beach.

At any rate, I don't think anyone will seriously start to look into the cause until the heads in beds start going away over voiced concerns of water quality. I have learned that is usually the bottom line around these here parts.

Good question. I would guess, and it's only a guess, that it is both as well as farm animal waste that I would not be surprised to see turn up in the bay. I have heard and don't know if it is fact or not that there is a test that can identity this, but it is expensive. It seems to me we need more sampling locations, including the dune lakes, and more beach locations and more bay locations. And we need more frequent testing. The limited tests that we get now will stop over the winter, according to the state health dept website. Budget cutbacks.
Test results would need to be correlated to weather and runoff. It's true we had tons of rain but there were some bad results before the heavy rains started, if I remember correctly.
I don't see how we can find a solution until we know what is really going on. And it won't be cheap - a study should be designed by educated and experienced professional scientists, and more testing will be expensive also.
Oh, and we would also need to identify all the septic tank locations. I suspect this might be harder than it appears at first glance.
So - a thorough, science-based investigation with recommended solutions.
Anyone out there see the money or the political will for this?
I don't think there's a choice. It's a public health crisis. I think that the appropriate government agency (whatever that is) just needs to do the testing and spend whatever it takes to fix it.

Tourists aren't stupid. They will read these water quality posts and be scared to come here. Tourism will go down, and the local economy will suffer. Owners who rent to pay their mortgages won't make the same amount of money.

The only good news is that traffic will decrease in the summer and during spring break. As a future local, I'd prefer the traffic over getting sick from going to the beach.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I'm hoping this year's results are a fluke associated with the rains. We still have very high water in the cypress dome behind our house, so I'm not sure if that implies defective runoff into Western Lake or not. This water might be sitting fairly stagnant coursing through old Seagrove resulting in leaching of dirty crud toward the beach.

I don't think the water in the cypress dome is a sign of anything wrong. Have you asked anyone who has been here for a long time, like 20 years or more, if they remember the history of that dome? I can think of one cypress dome in Seagrove that was always full 15 or 20 years ago and only recently recovered from lower annual rainfall over a period of years. There were quite a few consecutive years when that particular dome was dry or nearly so for very long stretches of time. Historically the cypress domes must have been wet more than dry or they would not have supported the growth of cypress trees.
More concerning to me is the way the dune lakes fill up so rapidly after rains - more and faster runoff means less time for water to clean itself on the way to where ever, either a lake or gulf or dome, etc.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
I think addressing this issue would be a better use of your BP dollars - if there any left or if it can be used that way.
It's bad for tourism, but those of you who live there, live there because of the gulf and quality of life - this could - and sounds like it has - impacted your health.
When the tourists are mostly gone by mid August, because of school schedules, you guys still have wonderful beach time. Plus it is impacting your drinking water?
Don't worry about the tourists yet. Make certain you guys are alright.
Don't know if I can do anything from Louisville...Ellen

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I think addressing this issue would be a better use of your BP dollars - if there any left or if it can be used that way.
It's bad for tourism, but those of you who live there, live there because of the gulf and quality of life - this could - and sounds like it has - impacted your health.
When the tourists are mostly gone by mid August, because of school schedules, you guys still have wonderful beach time. Plus it is impacting your drinking water?
Don't worry about the tourists yet. Make certain you guys are alright.
Don't know if I can do anything from Louisville...Ellen

The BP dollars are too valuable being diverted into slush funds. Our drinking water actually is piped in from north of the bay.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
The solution(s) will depend on the cause(s). All we really know is that it has to be related to sewer and septic unless our rivers and creeks are full of fecal bacteria from livestock. Heck we do really know that. Maybe more tourist are relieving themselves in the water or baby diapers are being rinsed in the water. Is the same bacteria in fish? Do the bacteria multiply? What would be causing higher concentrations in our county or is it the same all along Florida's coastline with similiar populations. Is it worse when more people are in the water? Is storm water runoff contributory or a primary cause? What is the ratio of septic tanks to the population compared to other counties? Septic tanks around the dune lakes seems to be a logical source but why don't we have inspections on those tanks? Is this a primary concern for our local government or are they just unaware? I do not want to swim around in high numbers of fecal bacteria but some people seem not to mind as indicated from previous posts. I get that everyone have varying degrees of immunity but what toursist will chose to come here if they know we have poor water quality? I get that this website was designed to promote tourism but that is exactly the point in that we need to solve this problem now and not wait for it to go away on it's own. High fecal bacteria counts will eventually give our promoters a new meaning to advertising a "destination hotspot" in the form of chills and fevers! Our basic approach needs to be that this is NOT acceptable and we need to do something about it before spending money on other things. I really enjoy humor and just laughed at the "dookie dash"! Yesterday I thought that humor has no place in this but just think if we actually held an event like that to bring awareness of this issue? If we are complaining to the right people and they are not reacting by spending money to find and correct this problem then I am all in on the First Annual South Walton Dookie Dash, a charitable event to bring attention to the problems of s______ in the water...