• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Owners don't pay a bed tax.
they DO.......( I'll Splane it to you), renters pay bed tax...so if an owner isn't paying bed taxes (to county) he's either not renting or keeping the $$$ he charged the renter...My Point....may be You should read and try to comprehend what someone is saying, instead of just randomly typing.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
they DO.......( I'll Splane it to you), renters pay bed tax...so if an owner isn't paying bed taxes (to county) he's either not renting or keeping the $$$ he charged the renter...My Point....may be You should read and try to comprehend what someone is saying, instead of just randomly typing.

Please explain it to me too, because I don't understand your post. My understanding of Poppy's post is that owners don't pay bed tax out of their own pockets. They either act as a collector and pass on what they collected from renters to the TDC, or they don't collect it at all, either because they don't rent their property or they are stealing it from their renters and putting it in their pocket.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Exactly as notdeadyet explained. Owners don't pay it, renters do. It's the owners responsibility to collect and forward just like a shop collecting sales tax and forwarding. I guess in your mind you consider it to be your money once it's in your hands.

Last edited:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
If you are speaking of the bed tax/tourist tax on short-term rentals, that is only collected south of the bay, since that it is the area for the TDC special district.
repeat: that's what I'm saying. BUT does all tax money stay South or is it shared? Bet it's shared. That's a lot of $$$ if all owners pay it.........
I'll make it simple so even you "poppy" can understand and then I'm done....1) take time to read Miz statement: " speaking of the bed tax on rentals"? 2) my answer," that's what I'm saying". 3) even you should have seen the whole conversation was about Collected Taxes and that's a lot of $$$$$$ (as stated) and of course owners need to pay only if its collected. I guess the high humidity today confused your mind? Ain't SOWAL great ?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
repeat: that's what I'm saying. BUT does all tax money stay South or is it shared? Bet it's shared. That's a lot of $$$ if all owners pay it......... I'll make it simple so even you "poppy" can understand and then I'm done....1) take time to read Miz statement: " speaking of the bed tax on rentals"? 2) my answer," that's what I'm saying". 3) even you should have seen the whole conversation was about Collected Taxes and that's a lot of $$$$$$ (as stated) and of course owners need to pay only if its collected. I guess the high humidity today confused your mind? Ain't SOWAL great ?

Looks as if I'm not the only one who has difficulty interpreting your posts.

Last edited:

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Are bed taxes charged anywhere but in the South ?

How about all the establishments in the North ? Do they collect ?

No, not bed taxes. At one time the DeFuniak Springs City Council looked at getting the TDC special district expanded countywide so that bed taxes could be collected from the hotels/motels north of the bay, but at this time bed taxes are only collected south of the bay.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Then you don't understand the table as it does not show where money is spent.

It only shows where it came from.

Look around you Bob. It's pretty obvious where it isn't being spent...in NoWal.