• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
The current Walton County website link to the noise ordinance (2003-09) says that audible construction noise is only allowed Monday through Saturday. When we complained about construction on a house near us this morning (12/20/15), we were told by the Sheriff's deputy that the law had recently been changed to allow Sunday construction noise beginning at 7 am.

Does anyone know if this is correct and when it happened?

Here is the language of the ordinance that is still there:

SECTION 10. EXEMPTIONS.
A. Construction operations between 6:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday and
between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Saturday for which building permits have been
issued, or construction operations not requiring permits due to ownership of the project
by an agency of government; providing all equipment is operated in accordance with
its manufacturers’ specifications and uses as standard equipment, its manufacturers’
mufflers and noise-reducing equipment and in proper operating condition.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
The situation was this: we were awakened shortly before 7 am by construction noise. The officer at the Sheriff's dept was extremely nice. He was clear that he was accepting responsibility for enforcement. He said that he had double checked to make sure he was giving me correct information that they were allowed to do construction beginning at 7 am due to a recent change in the law, but not a minute sooner. He also said he was going to go and tell the workers not to begin work earlier than 7. He didn't have any info about when the law was changed.

Perhaps the source of confusion is that construction on Sunday is allowed, but not noise from it? I am mystified.

roger that

Beach Comber
Jan 26, 2015
The current Walton County website link to the noise ordinance (2003-09) says that audible construction noise is only allowed Monday through Saturday. When we complained about construction on a house near us this morning (12/20/15), we were told by the Sheriff's deputy that the law had recently been changed to allow Sunday construction noise beginning at 7 am.

Does anyone know if this is correct and when it happened?

Here is the language of the ordinance that is still there:

SECTION 10. EXEMPTIONS.
A. Construction operations between 6:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday and
between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Saturday for which building permits have been
issued, or construction operations not requiring permits due to ownership of the project
by an agency of government; providing all equipment is operated in accordance with
its manufacturers’ specifications and uses as standard equipment, its manufacturers’
mufflers and noise-reducing equipment and in proper operating condition.
The most current Noise Ordinance is 2014-16. The primary changes primarily revolved around loud amplified music. Was not aware that the "construction noise" language had changed. Really don't think that it has. Will be interesting what Commissioner Meadows office has to say.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
This was the reply to my email from Cindy Meadows:

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Sun, Dec 20, 2015 6:46 pm
Subject: Re: Noise ordinance changed?

There has been no ordinance change. It is still Sat. Only; not Sunday.
I will confirm this again but I think I would have known it.
I'll get back to you.
I will email Audie Rowell of SO and get him to speak with the deputies about this. Thank you for the update.

Sent from my iPhone

Cindy Meadows
Walton County Commissioner
District 5
850-231-2978 office