• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Sarah Schindele, grant manager with the Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance, will speak at the June 19 meeting of the Emerald Coast Meditation Society. She will talk on “Healing Our Connection to the Earth,” discussing the spiritual connection between humans and the earth. This will be the final ECMS meeting of the summer. The next will be held Sept. 4.

The meeting will start with a 30-minute meditation at 6:30 p.m. at 480 N. Co. Hwy. 393, Santa Rosa Beach, half a mile north of Hwy. 98. The ECMS follows no religion and does not charge.

Schindele’s doctoral thesis focused on the spiritual connection between humans and the Earth. “I spoke with spiritual leaders throughout the greater Pensacola area,” she says, “who represented a cross-section of spiritual traditions. I interviewed them to learn about their perception of how humans relate to the earth in the context of their own spiritual tradition. I also asked about whether this topic felt current and relevant within their spiritual community.”

Since 2005 Schindele has been with the CBA, where she heads the volunteer water quality program within the Choctawhatchee watershed (bay, river and coastal dune lakes). She also coordinates a restoration program treating invasive plants in south Walton County and administers the CBA’s Eco-Adventure initiative. A Florida master naturalist, she is also involved in the development of the Native Plant Demonstration Garden & Trail at the South Walton Center of Northwest Florida State College in collaboration with Walton County Master Gardeners.

Schindele holds a doctorate in education from the University of West Florida plus a master’s degree in environmental conservation education from New York University.

As an Air Force child, Schindele has lived in many states including Hawaii, as well as Japan. She graduated from high school in Hawaii. She has lived in this area for 10 years.

The evening will conclude with a short guided meditation. The ECMS meets on the first and third Thursday of every month except July and August. Anyone who needs meditation instruction should arrive by 6:15 p.m. For information contact Nancy James, at nancyjames@embarqmail.com.