Hello all I am Jane

Discussion in 'Say Hello to SoWal!' started by Jane Fleig, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Jane Fleig

Jane Fleig Beach Crab

Not Janie but Jane...My husband Bill and I came to Destin to vacation this March and fell in :wub: bet you all heard that before....so we bought a piece of property in point washington...I need trees being from Oklahoma.We bought the property on line so we havent seen it except thru google so it is a "surprize" for us when we make it back next year....we have 8 kids but only 3 left in school....one of our children is black (we adopt) is there racial problems there? thanks all,Jane

2. SoWal 30A

SoWal 30A Beach Comber

RE: Jane

Hi Jane,

I personally have not witnessed racial issues here. Unfortunately racism is perception based and I'm white, so my opinion is limited.

Regardless, I'd like to welcome you and your family with open arms. Come enjoy the beach! Let me know if y'all have any questions about the area.

3. LJ123

LJ123 Beach Lover

Hello Jane and Welcome,

I have never experienced or witnessed anything but kindness and friendliness when ever my interracial couple friends (he is black, she is white) visit me from Atlanta. I live in Santa Rosa Beach near Gulf Place and we go all over Destin, 30A and PCB.

when you are getting ready to build on your lot in Point Washington please contact me. I work on the designs with a fantastic builder who also has adopted four children, all siblings. Lewis Jones has been building homes in Walton County for 27 years. He works hands on and on a cost plus basis.

Best of luck, Mary
    ffimg@hotmail.com or 404-786-1323

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  4. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

There are some local rednecks this is the deep south after all but South Walton is an island of white. Very few persons of color live here.

5. Jane Fleig

Jane Fleig Beach Crab

Thank you all for the welcome.Carrie is a mixed child and wants to go to public school(we homeschool now)she has never known any color problems. we bought the lots sight unseen,dumb I know,but in our defence we did google it....again thank you all

6. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Point Washington is a cool place.

7. Abby Prentiss

Abby Prentiss Beach Fanatic

:welcome:

8. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

:wave: hello and welcome! Point Washington is a wonderful place to live!!!

9. Akarin

Akarin Beach Lover

Welcome to the area!

10. ggodwin

ggodwin Beach Crab

Hi Jane- I grew up in PtWashington in the 60s and 70s, my family goes back to right after the civil war. I wouldn't worry about the race thing anymore, I think we have worked through that. As a matter of fact, my mother and her brother and sisters were raised by her mother and a black couple who lived next door and helped my grandmother manage her property. My aunt wrote fondly of them in a book called "Sandpiper Journal" (her name is Peggy Bailer). The book is registered with the Library Of Congress Catalog Card No. 95-94431 (whatever that means).

You can still get a copy from Eden State Gardens' gift shop- Welcome to Point Washington!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  11. Hop

Hop Beach Fanatic

Welcome to SoWal! :wave:

12. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

:welcome:

SoWal is very cool.

13. GingeratDRHorton

GingeratDRHorton Beach Comber

Hi Jane. You are a brave woman to buy sight unseen. It took me two years and I drove down from Cincinnati everytime I thought I found the perfect home. That was at least every month and sometimes 2x a month. But I found my little bit of paradise on 30A and could not be happier. Most people here are from other area's anyway so I don't see the racism thing at all. But there will always be that one dumb idiot out there. God bless you. Ginger PS If you need any pointers or advice please don't hesitate to call. 513-518-0123