Help from John R

Discussion in 'Music and Nightlife' started by TreeFrog, Jul 16, 2007.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

OK, so I've downloaded your recording of the Rowan-Rice quartet. Here are some questions that have come up:

-The directory for the Rowan-Rice was easy to find on tapers.org, because you posted the directory name in your post on SoWal. But, you didn't list the directory name in quite a few of your other SoWal posts. And the names on tapers.org are often a little cryptic. How to find them, too?

-I'm wanting to convert the FLAC files to MP3, since I'll probably be playing them on my iPod mini, which only has 4GB and stays full to capacity. Yes, I'm willing to accept the fidelity loss. After Googling, I've found several conversion programs. Which is your favorite?

-Similarly, I'd also like to burn audio CDs. I'd rather go straight from FLAC in one step, to preserve as much fidelity as possible. What is your recommendation for software for this?

-It looks to me like I need the full dbPowerAmp suite - Music Converter, CD Writer, and Audio Player for 2nd and 3rd questions above. Then download FLAC and the other codecs. Correct? What's your opinion of dbPowerAmp?

Thanks so much for your postings. They come on top of an already-flaming podcast addiction.

2. John R

John R needs to get out more

so the ftp was pretty easy? what client did you download?
    sorry about the file names, i'll go back and try to get them included, or anything with the bandname2007-06-xxjr.flac16

for conversion, i use dbpoweramp or the Flac frontend. you want to decode the flacs to .wav to burn them to cd with whatever program you already use. once their in .wav, you can just drop them into i-tunes and it will do the work to convert them to mp3.

I think you could just get by with dbpoweramp and the flac codec. you probably don't need the entire suite.

3. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

Can't seem to figure this stuff out? :confused: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: guess a grayt start might be just to purchase an ipod and figure that out first :dunno:
    :wub: my music but am a little technically challenged. I have enjoyed visiting these grayt links from the festival artists though. Thanks John R. :clap: :clap:

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You don't need an iPod. A simple computer will work, and you can play back the music in top quality form through dbPowerAmp (free), or convert the top-quality into mp3 (still good quality) format, and playback through realplayer (also free), or burn the music onto CDs via RealPlayer. It is really cool.

Treefrog, you can bypass the code talk of the show names by going to tapers.org. Click on "Forums," which will take you to a bulletin board, similar to SoWal.com/bb. Click on the forum titled, "Tapers.org Public Offers" and you will see most of the shows labeled with full names of bands. By clicking on an actual show title, you can see everything from the set lists to the type of microphones used, to the name of the person who taped the show.

5. John R

go here and follow the instructions: http://www.tapers.org/smartftp_howto.php

then read this: http://www.tapers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=328

it should help you out.

6. seacrestkristi

Thanks ya'll :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm still workin' on it but this helps. Got Emmy Lou all downloaded but am now workin' on actually hearin' it. Think I gotta do the dbPoweramp thang next prob'ly. Can't wait to hear her from the festival. Thanks for your help and sharin' JR and SJ. :clap: :clap: :clap: :cool: :D

7. John R

Kristi, if you're not inclined to burn it, you can listen to it in flac format by using http://www.winamp.com/

8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

I downloaded Smart FTP 2.5. Works fine, once you get familiar with the user interface.

Is there any loss with the two-step conversion FLAC>wav>MP3? That's why I was considering the convert piece from dbpoweramp.

It looks like SJ has the answer on the directory names. I'll have a look at the tapers.org forums.

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The long way to look at the names would be to look for the txt files, usually no more than two in a show, and it will show the same info, but it takes longer to do than going to the forums and looking around.

10. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:blink: ...this thread is so over my head.

11. seacrestkristi

OMG, I'm feelin' like a rocket scientist.....I did it. I'm listenin' to Emmy Lou from Telluride :clap: right now. I haven't converted from flac to wav yet to make a cd, but baby steps are good things right now. ;-)
    I downloaded winamp but then my puter acted up :breakcomp: and the volume was stuck on mute :confused: and the regular un mute button wouldn't do a thing. I could see the graphics playing but couldn't make the sound come out. Went into control panel and it was checkboxed on mute. :dunno: Maybe that happens automatically when I downloaded one of these items.
    Oh, this will be funn. Thank you so much for the lessons ya'll. :wub: Ya'll rock! :clap: :D Just click on those 2 links if you want lots of new live music, Miss Kitty. Believe me, :wave: you can do it. Just drag and drop the tunes into winamp after you do those links. Think I'll take a brain break and go jump in the lake a while. Thanks again. I will try making a CD later on tonight. It said I still needed codec converter before when I tried.
    I've already got the FLAC frontend though. Is that not the converter? :dunno:

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

seacreastkristi, just right click on all of those flac files (songs which to which you are listening), and you should see a choice for "convert files," or something like that. Select that, then it will ask you what you want to convert it to, and select mp3 for iPod, or wave file, to play in Real Player or burn onto a CD. You can also direct it to save to a particular folder, or it will automatically save it to your "my music" folder in Microsoft Explorer.

To answer your question, if you have the flac, no you don't necessarily have the converter. It depends on what you selected to download from dbpoweramp. There is a separate program entitled, dbPowerAMP Music Converter, and that is the program which will decode the flac into wav or mp3.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Have you tried it? Like it?

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

It worked well for me. Very simple. I did, however, run into some problems with Real Player not organizing the wav files without my help :bang:, but now I've got that under control. A little pilot error perhaps, along with a little Real Player or Microsoft error. Note that I have not converted any files to mp3, as I don't do mp3 players, but the process should be just as easy. If converting to mp3 only, you should be able to convert directly from flac to mp3.

Do note that, as John R, mentioned, flac files take up enormous amounts of hard drive space, so unless you are loaded with hard drive space, you might want to do as I do, and ditch the flac, after the conversions.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  15. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

Geeks.

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Just wait until John R starts talking about not reseeding in flossy...:funn:

17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

We can suffer a little geekness in exchange for all the nice tunes. :clap:

18. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

I'm only willing to watch him climb up on that soapbox from the comfort of my chair at a certain breakfast spot. Must be fortified by lots of coffee and some fresh fruit and granola.
    ;-)

19. John R

lossy.

friends don't let friends do mp3.:cool:

20. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Maybe so, but I'm doing it anyway, for the iPod. :D

Which brings the next round of questions...

I downloaded dbSmartAmp music converter and the FLAC codec and converted the Rowan-Rice show to MP3. Was kind of hoping to edit the tags in iTunes, since it's familiar. So I told iTunes to add the songs to the library, but of course they didn't show up because they don't have any tags. Duh...

1-So are they in the iTunes library, just not visible, or did it no import them?

2-The context menu items from dbSmartAmp allow inserting tags. But it's just sort of a blank sheet to start with. Is there some sort of standard template for MP3 tags? Where to find it? Maybe a nice tutorial somewhere?

Should I be posting these questions on the tapers.org forum, or will they laugh me out of there?