• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dustyrider

Beach Comber
We are planning to come the end of July. I was at my cousins today who is working all over Fla. He was down to the beaches of So. Walton in Feb. He said that there is still so much construction work going on and alot of road blocks etc. He said he had to get past security to get in because of all of the work going on. He said that the area is not ready for the tourist season yet.Can someone wo lives there fill me in ,we don't want to come if it's not.

We are bringing 4 kids ,10,9,7,7 and we don't want to get there and have it be disapointing. We have never been there before. We are also staying at the Villages of So. Walton beach Seacrest. Does anyone have any info on this. It looks beautiful and we have been really excited but now we are having second thoughts. Thanks for your input!!!!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Don't worry. We have a cottage about 1 mile from the area you are staying in and we'll be there around the same time with 2 11-year olds and we can't wait to get there. As for construction, there is quite a bit of construction going on along 30A including in your area, but you could ask your agent/person you rented from if it is within earshot of where you are staying and if any construction is blocking the path to the beach (which I doubt very much since the beach paths are the communities' bread and butter). I've driven by the area you'll be staying in and it is very nice. I believe you're staying in the community with the huge pool. You'll face some construction on the road (30A) between where you're staying when you go west toward Seaside or Grayton beach (because a new upscale community is being built called Alys beach), but that hasn't bothered me and I haven't seen any traffic bottlenecks nor have I heard any of the construction at all -- you're in an area of 30A that doesn't have a lot of traffic anyway. The construction near Alys beach has blocked off the bike path for a little while so you'd have to take your bikes on the road for a short way if you ride bikes or run. Frankly, it has been irrelevant to me when I'm there.

The beaches did get a hit from Arlene so the sand may not be as white as it is most of the time (although it may be back to normal by the time you get there), but it's still a lovely beach and the sunsets which are amazing and emerald green water aren't affected at all. People who love the beach realize that Mother Nature does her thing and the beach changes regularly -- that, in fact, is the beauty of it.

As for what we'll do when we get there, we'll hang around the pool and the kids will look for frogs in the mornings as soon as they get up (they take a bucket and catch them and then let them go after they've named them), we'll go to the beach in the mornings while it's a little cooler, we'll go to the beach and watch the sunsets every night (sometimes with a picnic dinner), we'll go to Grayton Beach state park which is amazing and has bathrooms and showers and picnic tables and grills and costs about $5.00/car for entrance fee, we'll go to Angelina's for lunch at least one day during the week for an inexpensive and good lunch (although we'll go there early because it will be very crowded in July), we'll go to to the dollar store in Panama City Beach (there are lots of them) so the kids can entertain themselves and shop for just a few dollars (I'll bring a book to read while they are shopping), we'll get a puzzle started and work on it off and on throughout the week, we'll play a few games, we'll watch a few movies, we'll go to shell island on the ferry at low tide to look for shells (which we've never done before but this will be our big experiment this trip), we'll check out a few other public beaches that have bathrooms (which makes it easier for kids), and I'm sure we'll do lots of other things as well.

If I could be there now, I'd be there in a second... We're going in July and again in August. We also go in November (lovely because it's when the monarch butterflies pass through the area on their way south and they're all over the paths to the beach), New Years, at least once more in the winter and at least once more in the spring. We can't get there enough -- regardless of construction or changes in the beach. The area is really very special.

So, call your agency or whoever you rented from and ask them directly about where the nearest construction is to where you're staying and if any construction is blocking the beach access. Then relax and enjoy the trip.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
By the way, the black 'rocks' and darker sand you may see on the beach toward the dunes are peat remnants of what used to be a cypress grove millions of years ago -- pretty interesting. They get exposed after hurricanes and strong tropical storms. They get covered by sand again over time either naturally or people bull-doze sand over them. When we first bought our cottages along Seacrest Beach, we couldn't see the peat and now, after Ivan, we can. In a few years if there are no hurricanes or strong tropical storms, they'll go back in hiding under the sand. And then there will be more storms and they'll pop up again. Regardless of whether we can see them or not, they're supposed to be there in one way or the other and are part of the nature of the area. Also, keep in mind that most of the beach sand when you are there, especially toward the water, will be the white sand that people expect in the area and the water will be emerald green.

Again, I'd be there in a second if I could.

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound
Dustyrider, pack your bags and load the van for a wonderful trip. I just came back from two weeks at the beach and it is still beautiful. Lots to love about the area. Enjoy your time on 30-A.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Hi Dustyrider

Paula gives a great assessment of the area. I used to own a condo at the Village of South Walton and have a Make-a-wish family staying there right now. They love the location and so did I. The units are roomy 3 bedrooms, although one of the bedrooms don't have a closet. Theres a jacuzzi in the master bath and a balcony onto scenic 30A overlooking Rosemary beach area. The location is prime. Right at Rosemary Beach. In fact, I always used the west Rosemary beach walkover instead of the deeded access for Seacrest Beach which the Village is located within. As Paula stated, you do get to use the 12,000 sq ft Seacrest pool, not the Rosemary Pools - they are for owners and guests of Rosemary. There's tennis, a health club and spa at Rosemary for a reasonable fee.

Right now, there is construction of Savannah and the Mercado along main street in Rosemary. There is also construction to the West in Alyss. Haven't taken the path in the last few weeks but hopefully they are off of it. I found them intrusive to the path and hopefully the county has stopped them from blocking it.

There is also construction about to begin in the next couple of weeks again behind the Village which will be phase IV but it shouldn't impact you, especially if you are in the first or second buildings (E&F, I believe). They will be the farthest from the new construction.

The good thing is that the commercial spaces and Keosks are beginning to open at the village. There is now a nice little cafe below your room with Lunch, coffee and Carvel ice cream. There's supposed to be another restaurant coming but it's running late. Don't know what the deal is. Then there is always the activity you can walk to at Rosemary. Movies under the stars on Thurs. Sancastles 101 and Seaschool for the kids is all free. Ballet under the stars was scheduled but assume it was canceled due to the storm. Anyway, lots going on. Photo of people on Rosemary beach after the storm yesterday. Don't let unfounded fears cause you to miss a beautiful place.