• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
Give

Kurt, I'm reposting this on a new thread so it doesn't get lost....

Having a home in the French Quarter just off Bourbon, New Orleans is like our second home (was going to move there eventually). There's no other place like it - the diversity, the history, the traditions like Mardi Gras and gumbo that we've all adopted. I'd like to encourage everybody that can help in some way when this is over to do so. The people of LA and especially NO love life, are fantastically unpretenious and generous, and we should respond the way we did for 911 and the tsunami. Volunteering, contributing, whatever. We're all New Orleanians now and as bad as the 911 tragedy was for New York, this will affect a population with far fewer resources. Let's use this as an opportunity to focus on helping people without the artillery. Maybe this will allow us to find the culture of compassion and caring that's been so smothered by war, suspicion, political and cultural division over the past several years.

We can't "smoke mother nature out of her hole" - so let's focus on helping the ones that have been attacked by her.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Red Cross Seeks Disaster Volunteers

The Red Cross depends on volunteers to provide disaster services to the community - before, during and after a hurricane.

The American Red Cross of Northwest Florida is seeking volunteers from
the community to assist with shelter operations in the aftermath of
Hurricane Katrina.

"Additional local volunteers will be needed to support the relief effort
in Northwest Florida. We anticipate providing shelter and meals for
storm evacuees in the days following Katrina's landfall," said Rosanne
Kelly, Senior Director of Volunteers.

The Red Cross will provide free on-the-job training with an experienced
shelter manager.

Those interested in becoming a disaster volunteer should call their
nearest Red Cross office:

Escambia County - 850.432.7601
Santa Rosa County - 850.626.7333
Okaloosa County - 850.682.3356
Walton County - 850.892.6297

All American Red Cross disaster assistance is free, made possible by
voluntary donations of time and money from the American people. You can
help the victims of Hurricane Katrina and thousands of other disasters
across the country each year by making a financial gift to the American
Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, which enables the Red Cross to provide
shelter, food, counseling and other assistance to those in need. Call
1-800-HELP NOW or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish). Contributions to the
Disaster Relief Fund may be sent to your local American Red Cross
chapter or to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, DC
20013. Internet users can make a secure online contribution by visiting
www.redcross.org.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
You got it MB...I'm on board.

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
Thanks Kurt. It won't be just NO that needs help, but there are 1.5 million people in that area and the pictures of those poor people lined up - IN THE RAIN - with sacks and coolers waiting to get into the Super Dome is a heart breaker. Before we fix the world, the let's fix our families.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
As I posted on another thread:

I hope everyone with rentals in SoWal will reduce their prices, or perhaps waive the rental fees for people from New Orleans and surrounding areas who need shelter. We could be great neighbors to the states to our west. Please at least consider doing this. Please, these folks need our help.

Blood banks are going to be very low after this storm. Remember that giving blood is another way to help these victims of Ma Nature. I am sure there will be numerous ways in which we can help, and I, too, urge each and every one of you to give to these people in some meaningful way. We may be in need one day too. Give with all your heart can afford.

(Thanks for bringing this up, WU.- any way to edit your thread title to something refering to giving?)

Last edited:

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
I tried to change the thread name - maybe Kurt can keep it permanently at the top with a different heading. This is going to be the worse disaster to strike the US this century - more than 911. These people are water lovers, like ourselves, they are southern, like many of us, it's as "pure" an American city as Boston or New York with the oldest architecture and history that you'll find in our country - maybe more so because it's always represented the brighter, happier side of life. It's been an escape and welcome 24-7 cocktail party for so many who are suffocating from the tensions of war, jobs, and the "crystal white powdered sand" that's just, well, crystal white .

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
My husband and I are born and raised Louisianians, and your compassion is very touching. I plan to get involved. We have a lot of family in South Louisiana, and we are praying for everyone in the path of this terrific and terrible storm.

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
If we still have a place there, we'll scrape out the mud when we can and anyone from the area that wants to help will have a place to stay - on the floor and maybe without power - as long as we have room.

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
Spoke with a neighbor of ours, Michael, about thirty minutes ago. He's 21, delivers food by bicycle for the Verti Mart, a small deli in the French Quarter. He has no car, rents a small apartment and has no way to leave. He's been in line to get into the Super Dome for over three hours - part of the time in the dark and most of the time is a small drizzle to pouring rain with no cover.