• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
lenzoe said:
I guess I should have said small-scale owners that don't want to see their property devalued by the high-rise condo going in next door to them.

You are right in that most people around here would raise stink. However, regarding the "devaluing" of smaller pieces of property, I think the opposite would happen. I think people would eventually sell out in "group" packages to the developers for outrageous amounts of money. More units can be sold by going up.

(If I hear any truth of the rumor of lifting the height restrictions, you will see a photo of me, in the newspapers, raising H_LL on the Court House steps.)

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Smiling JOe said:
However, regarding the "devaluing" of smaller pieces of property, I think the opposite would happen.
Really? That seems counter-intuitive to me. Do you think, comparing apples-to-apples properties, that Destin has higher values than SoWal? I figured they'd be lower largely due to the density issue. Last time I tried to compare, that's they way it seemed to me. But it's hard to get a real feel for it just comparing MLS listings.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You certainly make a valid point, which is difficult to argue, but I think the surrounding smaller parcels would also be bought and combined into larger projects. Developers will have to pay top dollar to buy these smaller pieces, but I think you will find them willing and able. South Walton would look like Manhattan from a distant view -- Tall buildings surrounding the State Forest (Central Park). If this ever happend, maybe we could have all tourists park in Freeport and create a bus system, or scooter and bicycle exchange to help keep the traffic down.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Smiling JOe said:
You are right in that most people around here would raise stink. However, regarding the "devaluing" of smaller pieces of property, I think the opposite would happen. I think people would eventually sell out in "group" packages to the developers for outrageous amounts of money. More units can be sold by going up.

(If I hear any truth of the rumor of lifting the height restrictions, you will see a photo of me, in the newspapers, raising H_LL on the Court House steps.)

:clap_1: :clap_1:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Early this morning, I received late notice, that at today's 8:00am Board of County Commissioners' meeting they would have discussion of restricting the height limit on buildings north of the Bay. I had to leave the meeting early, and did not get to hear the discussion or discission of one was made. Anyone happen to know?

It was news for me to learn that Walton County's height restriction on buildings applied only to property in Walton County south of Hwy 98. I know Eglin AFB has problems with high rises, especially north of the Bay. Some time ago, I remember a person on the Freeport Planning Board telling me that the City of Freeport also has a problem with high rises due to not having firetrucks that could handle extinguishing fires from buildings with heights greater than 50ft. I am sure we will read about the meeting in Carol's article in the Walton Sun on Saturday, but if you know, I would like to hear. I will get a copy of the minutes, but it generally takes a week or so for the County to record them.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
I believe the height limit was extended from 98 to the South shore of the bay a couple of years ago.
That would make sense because the area that was up for discussion was north of the Bay.

seagrovechick

Beach Comber
Dec 23, 2004
The 30A corridor has experienced an amazing rise in value due to the lack of high rises, in my opinion. While it is getting more crowded each year, it is still calm in comparison to other beach resort areas. Allowing high rises is definitely a bad idea as it will serve to dillute the unique beach village feel that has been created in the area and thus slow the value growth in real estate.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
seagrovechick said:
The 30A corridor has experienced an amazing rise in value due to the lack of high rises, in my opinion. While it is getting more crowded each year, it is still calm in comparison to other beach resort areas. Allowing high rises is definitely a bad idea as it will serve to dillute the unique beach village feel that has been created in the area and thus slow the value growth in real estate.
That's what I'm saying! Increased density is comparable to dilution in stock ownership. The fact that it isn't wall-to-wall people on the beaches (yet) is a feature and a quality that needs to be preserved or everyone looses.

lenzoe said:
That's what I'm saying! Increased density is comparable to dilution in stock ownership. The fact that it isn't wall-to-wall people on the beaches (yet) is a feature and a quality that needs to be preserved or everyone looses.

Agreed, Looks like the PCB pre-construct's are coming down in price. There looks to be hundreds for resale right now.