• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
O.K., I am going to ask a pointed question. We are considering moving to SoWal full time in the summer of 2010. We have three school age children who will be in both the elementary and middle school grades by that time. I am satisfied with answers I've gotten about academics and the overall school environment for both. What concerns me is the High School choices. Neither South Walton HS or Arnold have very strong FCAT scores (46% are reading at or above 10th grade level when they took the test :yikes:). We are coming from schools who test scores are in the high 90's. What is being done about this? Does anyone see any changes for these high schools? There are many wonderful reasons for moving to the area, but I can't ignore what is on paper about these schools. Any information would be helpful. And honestly, don't give me the "test scores aren't everything" line. A score of 46% is unacceptable, and as a future community member, it's not good enough for our kids. Is anyone talking about how to solve this problem? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
O.K., I am going to ask a pointed question. We are considering moving to SoWal full time in the summer of 2010. We have three school age children who will be in both the elementary and middle school grades by that time. I am satisfied with answers I've gotten about academics and the overall school environment for both. What concerns me is the High School choices. Neither South Walton HS or Arnold have very strong FCAT scores (46% are reading at or above 10th grade level when they took the test :yikes:). We are coming from schools who test scores are in the high 90's. What is being done about this? Does anyone see any changes for these high schools? There are many wonderful reasons for moving to the area, but I can't ignore what is on paper about these schools. Any information would be helpful. And honestly, don't give me the "test scores aren't everything" line. A score of 46% is unacceptable, and as a future community member, it's not good enough for our kids. Is anyone talking about how to solve this problem? Am I missing something?

Nothing. It has been that way for over 8 years and they promise to fix it and it has remained relatively flat. But they do pride themselves on being above the State average.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Get in touch with jdarg She can give you the inside scoop on South Walton High School and how to get the best possible education from the school.

As for the percent meeting standards in 10th grade reading, this year's FCAT had 61% listed, which is still not ideal but not too far from what are seen as the good general enrollment high schools in the Panhandle that have students that regularly send kids to Ivies (Gulf Breeze, Niceville, Navarre)

Last edited:

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org

Take a look at the SAT Scores For Walton County

Students Who Took The SAT 07-08: 66 /Number of graduates 2008: 379
Average SAT score 2007-08: 1459

RANGES OF SCORES FOR 2008 FRESHMEN

Duke

• Critical Reading: 690 - 770
  • Mathematics: 690 - 790
  • Writing: 680 - 780
  • TOTAL SAT -2060 to 2340
Harvard

• Critical Reading: 690 - 800
  • Mathematics: 700 - 790
  • Writing: 690 - 780
  • TOTAL SAT - 2080 - 2370
MIT, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

• Critical Reading: 660 - 760
  • Mathematics: 720 - 800
  • Writing: 660 - 750
  • TOTAL SAT - 2040 - 2310
Stanford

• Mathematics: 680 - 780
  • Writing: 670 - 770
  • TOTAL SAT - 2010 - 2310
UCLA

• Critical Reading: 570 - 680
  • Mathematics: 610 - 720
  • Writing: 580 - 690
  • TOTAL SAT - 1760 - 2090

Last edited:
Take a look at the SAT Scores For Walton County

Students Who Took The SAT 07-08: 66
Average sat score 2007-08: 1459

RANGES OF SCORES FOR 2008 FRESHMEN

Duke

• Critical Reading: 690 - 770
  • Mathematics: 690 - 790
  • Writing: 680 - 780
Harvard

• Critical Reading: 690 - 800
  • Mathematics: 700 - 790
  • Writing: 690 - 780
MIT, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

• Mathematics: 720 - 800
  • Writing: 660 - 750
Stanford

• Mathematics: 680 - 780
  • Writing: 670 - 770
UCLA

• Critical Reading: 570 - 680
  • Mathematics: 610 - 720
  • Writing: 580 - 690

If I read your figures correctly, Walton Schools are doing exceptionally well for those planning on attending college.:cool:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Could be wrong, but I don't know of ANY school in the Panhandle making in the 90s - not even Niceville. And these are averages of all the kids - the straight A's, the stoners, the ones who struggle to learn, the athletes, the good all around B & C kids, the ones in stable families, the ones who don't know where they will be living from one day to the next. Yes, we have those here.

This is why I am more concerned with individual performance. I know what my son is capable of, he knows what I expect, and I know what his challenges are. And he is doing pretty doggone well. :D

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Could be wrong, but I don't know of ANY school in the Panhandle making in the 90s - not even Niceville. And these are averages of all the kids - the straight A's, the stoners, the ones who struggle to learn, the athletes, the good all around B & C kids, the ones in stable families, the ones who don't know where they will be living from one day to the next. Yes, we have those here.

This is why I am more concerned with individual performance. I know what my son is capable of, he knows what I expect, and I know what his challenges are. And he is doing pretty doggone well. :D

The problem is not the schools, imho. They are doing fine within the parameters they have to operate. Getting parents involved is the key. Schools that are able to do that seem to do a whole lot better.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
If I read your figures correctly, Walton Schools are doing exceptionally well for those planning on attending college.:cool:

Please recheck the earlier post. I added the composite score ranges for those schools.

Walton County students average 1469 on the Composite score. An average score nation wide is in the 1500's. Ivy league schools ranges for admission are much higher.

Remember the SAT is primarily used in Eastern and western colleges and the ACT is prevalent in Southern Schools.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Also keep in mind that outside of maybe Gulf Breeze and Niceville, the Panhandle schools tend to be more economically diverse than what you find in larger metro areas. The K-8 general enrollment schools in south Walton run about 25% free and reduced school lunch; high school is still in the 17% range.

And the biggest predictor for student success is usually parental income. (which makes Freeport Middle School's A grade impressive since their student population is 61% free/reduced school lunch)

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
I feel your pain. The South Walton High School test scores are not where many parents would like to see them, the science scores in particular. (But we did get a 90 in writing this year!) There are some very involved parents at the school and it seems more each year. Although change doesn't happen as fast as we'd like, in the one year I've had a student at the school, I've seen some progress. One major area is that starting next year South Walton will no longer be on a block schedule. (Arnold is also on block schedule.) Although some disagree, I think this change will be very advantageous to our students. I think it will get a bit better every year.

One of the things we've been impressed with regarding education in this area is the many options you have. If you do the research, you can get a good education at SWHS. You have to know which classes and teachers are the best. If your child does well academically, you might want to consider dual enrollment where they can take classes at NWFSC in Niceville. There will soon be a small campus opening very close to SWHS. There is also Florida Virtual school, where you can augment your classes or take all your classes on-line. Also in Niceville, on the NWFSC campus, there is the Collegiate High School. They do have FCAT scores in the 90s, but for the most part, you have to pass a test to get in, so you're not really comparing apples to apples. It's a hike to get there especially if you're on the east end of 30A. The program there is for kids that are academically motivated. Niceville High School is also an option. It's certainly not very convenient, but their scores are in the high 80s for math and writing. Niceville is a much bigger school, so it can offer more classes than SWHS does and has some very rigorous AP classes. A big school isn't for us, so that wasn't an option that we explored very much.

The Walton county school system is evolving from a rural school system to one that prepares kids for college. From what we've seen here in South Walton, the expectations of the college educated parents that have moved here are much higher than they have been in the past. The same is probably true in the rest of the county as well. So as more parents get involved and push for more challenging classes and better test scores, the curriculum and quality of instruction will improve. I think we'll see more AP classes across the county and better instruction of those classes. At least, that's my hope.