• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
I've read alot about Collegiate High School on the OWC website, just wondering if anyone out there has any first-hand knowledge or opinion of the school?

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
You're kidding :?:
I can't believe I've heard of it & the Grayton Guru hasn't :lol:

It's a charter school where you earn college credit while you are earning your high school diploma. Been around about 4 years. I think they used to go around to area schools but now the kids go to the OWC campus.

Sounds like a good opportunity, but I wonder if the kids feel like they "miss out" on typical high school events, such as Fri. night football.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
As a senior in high school way back when, I got to go to a couple of courses at the nearby college. That was great. maybe it's like that.

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
Check the owc.edu website & see what you think. I'm not sure I'm ready for a 19 yr old to have an Associates Degree...we're rushing kids to grow up so fast. BUT it would be nice to have a couple years free tuition!

My guess is that it's really hard to get into. I think the website said there are 3 times more applicants than they can accept.

OK, assuming we don't get in there, where, in your opinion(s) is the best high school in the panhandle (counting Walton & surrounding counties)

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
SoWal High home of the Seahwaks is a good one.

IMO as long as High Schools are safe and clean they're all the same. They teach you about 15% of what you need to be learning during those years. :roll:

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
Sounds like a good topic for discussion. I'm on the fence, for 2 reasons:

View #1: If you look at the logic of people like Robert Kiyosaki, you are exactly right. As a matter of fact, when you go to his website the first thing it says is...your banker has never asked for your report card, just your financial statement. I was a great student but don't know that I retained very much of what I learned- I was a short-term memorizer.

View #2: The school really DOES matter for reasons such as self-esteem & happiness. As an example, my son is very smart, but he think's outside the box. He's a hands-on kind of a kid & is always doodling, he's very creative. If he were not at a private school with a lot of forward thinking teachers, my guess is that instead of making A's he would be in trouble alot. His school is part of Mel Levine's study ("A Mind at a Time") & they appreciate the fact that he can be taking it all in even if he's not sitting still looking straight ahead. I wonder if larger, public schools would be as understanding.

Don't know if anyone else is interested in this subject but if so I would love to hear some feedback, especially from educators or someone with middle/high school age kids. Any takers?

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
Thanks for the input dplace.

I understand that you need good grades to get into a good college & be competitive in the job search. But does it matter too much which high school you choose?

As an example, lets say your son has the opportunity to go to a pricey all male high school. That will put him on the path to a great university (more money) & will give him an opportunity to know prominent people in your community. But, is it worth the obscene amount of money you will spend on it, or will you be just as good to go to a "safe, clean" high school, as Kurt puts it, make good grades & go to a state university?

Of course you really need a crystal ball for that one. Who knows what my kids will want to be?? I guess I'm more concerned that the school will support their learning styles and they will feel understood & self-confident. Any thoughts?

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound
Good Morning! This is a very interesting topic, but one that could be debated for a long, long time with no definitive answer. I am also a former educator and parent of two college graduates. My children were born with certain personality traits that have been with them their entire lives. In some cases the outside environment moved them in certain directions, but in other times their genetic makeup took control. Sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad. We tried public and private schools, but my opinion is that the students need to learn to adjust and make the best of whatever environment they may be in at the time. We cannot "create" the ideal environment for them for a lifetime. Learning to "live" and achieve is what we need to teach. I'm sure that I don't know how to do that. Positive home support and exposure to education and books are things all parents can do regardless of financial standing. Decisions about a child's school need to be made with the entire family's welfare in mind. IMO (humble as it is).

Have a good weekend!