• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Magic Hour

Beach Comber
May 11, 2005
I have seen the photographs of the Hilton Home at Seacrest Beach posted on this website. What can you tell me about this home? Architect? Owners? Length of construction? Proposed use? :dunno:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I wish i could remember the architect. I saw a web page about it years ago and can't find it again. I'm going to have to do some digging.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks! Click on residences and it's the first one. Fascinating photos and description.

hiltonmodel3_1.jpg

Nestled amid the sand dunes on the Gulf of Mexico at Panama City, Florida, the Hilton residence contains 9,500 square feet of living space. Primary rooms are suspended on concrete pods at various levels within a greenhouse structure of coral-tinted reflective glazing. One interior stairway encircles a glass-enclosed elevator, while another winds around fully grown native palms. The top lacuna of an exterior two-level saltwater swimming pool fountains into the lower basin, then enters the interior by flowing beneath the edge of a glazed wall. Tiered roof wings sweep upward, forming a series of clerestories that shield the open floor plan from excessive sun exposure while presenting unobstructed views of the oceanfront during daytime and allowing stargazing at night. Remote-controlled fabric panels placed strategically over the glazing provide additional solar protection.

Interior spaces flow freely without walls or partitions, while scale and volume are tempered through the placement of palms and other tropical flora. Level changes rhythmically establish area separations and maximize direct ocean views. The varying colors and textures of terraces, walls, planters, and pools avoid sharp definitions of boundary, integrating the the interior and exterior of the home into a sense of contained movement. The gestures of the form join harmoniously with the surrounding swell of seabird, ocean waves, and sand dunes that embrace an exceptional building site. Everything set forward for the program by the clients indicated a desire for fluidity. All the exterior benefits of the site, such as sea breezes and ocean sunsets, are integrated into the residence to establish a refuge from the hectic pace of a busy business life and create a soothing place to relax, read, and write.

Last edited:

Georgian

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2005
It's obvious that the Architect spent enormous amounts of time insuring the design blends well with the existing architectural heritage. Would it not be a better design if it blended so well with its' surroundings that it was hardly noticed? Maybe if it was painted solid white it would mesh well Alys Beach.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
Georgian said:
It's obvious that the Architect spent enormous amounts of time insuring the design blends well with the existing architectural heritage. Would it not be a better design if it blended so well with its' surroundings that it was hardly noticed? Maybe if it was painted solid white it would mesh well Alys Beach.

Well - some like to be different. And besides, the whole area is different. What heritage do you speak of?

JustBeachy

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2005
Blue Mtn. Beach
Perhaps they meant architectural integrity? No, wait.. :wink:

That is seriously one ugly house..there is no where you could build it that it would compliment the landscape.