Home Owners -next several weeks of rentals

Discussion in 'Rentals - Vacation' started by Rather B Paddlin, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Rather B Paddlin

Rather B Paddlin Beach Lover

Assuming no house or pool damage.

Just asking fellow home owners how are you addressing the next 1-4 weeks of rentals. Are you cancelling, giving refunds, giving discounts for inconvenient beach access, or just sitting tight to see what happens???

What is everybody out there thinking?

RBP

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  2. lollygal

lollygal Beach Fanatic

I'm sitting tight until I know how bad the beach walkover is in Seacrest and whether or not it can be repaired. We have a home in Seagrove with a walkout so stairs are not a problem there, but erosion may be. I am in a holding pattern right now.

3. sweet

sweet Beach Lover

I have had a few of my rental people call and ask.
    I have been holding off until I know for sure.
    Do any of you have rental insurance on there policy?
    How does it work

4. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

I emailed my rental management company this same question, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I just don't know if renters are willing to pay the normal rate to stay at a beachside place if they can't get to the beach. Our guests have access to a pool, so that's not so bad. But not as good as getting into that beautiful Gulf.

5. Rather B Paddlin

I would think the house would need to have damage to make a claim of loss of rentals. Maybe there is an insurance expert out there lurking who could answer that.

Great question.

6. spinDrAtl

spinDrAtl Beach Fanatic

I think ResortQuest, which manages many units at High Pointe, has a policy that a guest can cancel no questions asked.

I had a guest scheduled to go down on the 9th for a week. They are chomping at the bit to get down there, but so far I am unable to tell them anything.

Our owner's website is not showing any ResortQuest cancellations for the period following the 16th as of yet.

7. spinDrAtl

spinDrAtl Beach Fanatic

Speaking of trip insurance, does anyone know a company that sells policies that will pay off in case of hurricane/evacuation?

Although we do recommend trip insurance in general for things like medical emergencies and what have you, I would like to be able to recommend a specific policy to renters for hurricanes. Right now we refund in cases of evacuation - I'd rather have the renter get a policy.

8. PrincessKel

PrincessKel Beach Comber

**Thyme After Thyme**
    Just wondering if there is anyone on this board that owns Thyme After Thyme? We have rented through Beach Rentals of South Walton and have tried all day to contact them, with no luck. THANKS!

9. sunsetdunes

sunsetdunes Beach Lover

Quoting from our web site at http://www.sunsetdunesgetaway.com

Trip insurance is widely available, and can provide reimbursement, minus a deductible, for the cost of a cancelled trip. Conditions and exclusions exist, but many travel insurance policies protect against trip cancellation caused by natural disaster or bad weather, death or injury to the traveler, financial default of the travel provider, and labor strikes. Additional policies can cover medical needs while traveling, protection if your baggage is lost or delayed and damage to rental cars. The cost of travel insurance depends on three main factors: the price of your trip, the length of stay and the age of the traveler.

If you purchase insurance through Travel Guard, you'll receive a full refund if your trip is canceled due to a hurricane in your destination or if your resort is damaged in a storm and can't provide alternate accommodations.

If your trip is delayed your insurance will cover "reasonable, additional accommodations and travel expenses until travel becomes possible." However, you will only be covered if you purchase insurance before the hurricane is predicted. Once a tropical storm or potential hurricane is identified in your destination area, you forfeit your right to coverage for trip cancellation or delays due to that particular storm.

Each insurance company covers different circumstances for different amounts, so it's best to compare rates and coverage. Two web sites that will help you compare policies quickly and easily are InsureMyTrip.com and QuoteTravelInsurance.com. When you enter your trip details and ages of travelers, the sites will list the prices and descriptions of several policies that fit your needs.

In most cases, travel insurance will not cover you if you decide to cancel your vacation because the weather is likely to be rainy due to a nearby hurricane or because you change your mind. But if you are prevented by forces outside your control from reaching your vacation destination, trip insurance will come to your rescue.

For further info, see http://www.travelguard.com/info/stormguard/hurricanequestions.asp and http://www.quotetravelinsurance.com...t_know_about_hurricanes_travel_insurance.html

Janet

10. spinDrAtl

spinDrAtl Beach Fanatic

Thanks Janet.

11. beachbuddy

beachbuddy Beach Comber

Before you purchase travel insurance check with the US Travel Insurance Association at http://www.ustravelinsurance.org/ to make sure you are dealing with a reputable company, licensed to sell such insurance. You can also check with your state's department of insurance.

12. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

Our mgt. company (1-2-1 Vacation Rentals) is giving full refunds.

13. Just_In_Thyme

Just_In_Thyme Beach Lover

I had a cancellation for this week, which I gave a full refund. The ones for the following weeks are still scheduled to come, and have said they are still looking forward to their trip even if they have to walk a ways or even drive to beach access.

14. Philip_Atlanta

Philip_Atlanta Beach Lover

There were no cars outside the BRSW office today, you might try tomorrow.

As to the issue, both of my renters this week came in today and both didn't mind not having beach access, strangely enough. As far as for the future, I think that depends on how fast walkovers get built, but it certainly seems reasonable to be flexible with them and I think you'll get that flexibility in return.

15. Passatfish

Passatfish Beach Comber

I have also been trying to contact Beach Rentals of South Walton and get either a fast busy/answering machine/constant ringing. We are staying at the Turtle Boy at the Cottages of Camp Creek and just need to know if we are good to go for this saturdays arrival. Thanks again for all the information...

16. Rather B Paddlin

Interesting development. We have received about 1/2 dozen phone calls in the last 24 hours from renters scrambling to book a replacement house because of damage to a house they where intending to rent. Most of these houses were in Destin or west of Destin. These people could care less about where the beach access was as long there was a private pool.

We had a few guests undecided on whether they wanted to cancel in next few weeks even with a substancial discount. One demanded a 50% discount off the rent. When we told them they could cancel since we had a list of people willing to rent the house they all of sudden solidified their plans to come.

I see the best in people. I am hoping renters will not see this as an opportunity to reverse price gauge, just to get a great deal. If someone tries to force an unreasonable reduction, remember there are a good number of people looking for reasonabley priced replacement rentals.

17. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

The Cottages are fine. If you still need info., I know the owner of Turtle Boy. PM me and I will give you her contact information. It is a beautiful day here in paradise!

18. Passatfish

Passatfish Beach Comber

Awesome!! As I posted in another thread, I finally got through to BRoSW and they said all looks good for our arrival Saturday!!! Pool should be in good shape by then!!!

19. karen

karen Beach Comber

Passatfish,
    I received an email from BRSW this afternoon around 1:00 p.m. They intend to inspect all properties and will call owners if there is damage to their homes. No news is good news I suppose.

Thank you to all reporting on the status of beaches, homes, etc.

River Otter, am particularly interested in your assessment of beach and open restaurants around HP (Spicey Noodle, The Villages Sandwich Shop, etc.?) as my house is in Seacrest North and my renters are on their way from St. Louis on Thursday.
    Thank you for any input!

20. TW

TW Beach Crab

We have a gulf front condo at Sunset Beach and thankfully there was no damage to the unit but of course access to the beach is gone until the walkover is replaced which could be several weeks.We were fully booked for the summer but things are changing. The guests due last Saturday couldn't get down due to the evacuation and of course we gave them a full refund ...same with the guests due from this coming Saturday because they wanted to make alternative plans as we could not give them info. on area amenties affected -- going to Mexico to see Emily!. We gave them the refund.
    The guests due on the 23rd have also requested a refund -- they have 5 small kids and wanted close access to the beach not a drive. I feel for them but am not sure how to handle this -- we need people to come down both from a personal financial view and also if we give refunds this is less tax revenue for SoWal to fund beach restoration etc.
    Our policy states refund if mandatory hurricane evacuation but the post hurricane damage is not addressed.

Any views appreciated