• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Assuming no house or pool damage.

Just asking fellow home owners how are you addressing the next 1-4 weeks of rentals. Are you cancelling, giving refunds, giving discounts for inconvenient beach access, or just sitting tight to see what happens???

What is everybody out there thinking?

RBP

Last edited:

lollygal

Beach Fanatic
I'm sitting tight until I know how bad the beach walkover is in Seacrest and whether or not it can be repaired. We have a home in Seagrove with a walkout so stairs are not a problem there, but erosion may be. I am in a holding pattern right now.

sweet

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2005
I have had a few of my rental people call and ask.
I have been holding off until I know for sure.
Do any of you have rental insurance on there policy?
How does it work

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
I emailed my rental management company this same question, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I just don't know if renters are willing to pay the normal rate to stay at a beachside place if they can't get to the beach. Our guests have access to a pool, so that's not so bad. But not as good as getting into that beautiful Gulf.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Beachfamily said:
I have had a few of my rental people call and ask.
I have been holding off until I know for sure.
Do any of you have rental insurance on there policy?
How does it work

I would think the house would need to have damage to make a claim of loss of rentals. Maybe there is an insurance expert out there lurking who could answer that.

Great question.

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
I think ResortQuest, which manages many units at High Pointe, has a policy that a guest can cancel no questions asked.

I had a guest scheduled to go down on the 9th for a week. They are chomping at the bit to get down there, but so far I am unable to tell them anything.

Our owner's website is not showing any ResortQuest cancellations for the period following the 16th as of yet.

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Speaking of trip insurance, does anyone know a company that sells policies that will pay off in case of hurricane/evacuation?

Although we do recommend trip insurance in general for things like medical emergencies and what have you, I would like to be able to recommend a specific policy to renters for hurricanes. Right now we refund in cases of evacuation - I'd rather have the renter get a policy.

PrincessKel

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
Tennessee
**Thyme After Thyme**
Just wondering if there is anyone on this board that owns Thyme After Thyme? We have rented through Beach Rentals of South Walton and have tried all day to contact them, with no luck. THANKS!

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
spinDrAtl said:
Speaking of trip insurance, does anyone know a company that sells policies that will pay off in case of hurricane/evacuation?

Although we do recommend trip insurance in general for things like medical emergencies and what have you, I would like to be able to recommend a specific policy to renters for hurricanes. Right now we refund in cases of evacuation - I'd rather have the renter get a policy.

Quoting from our web site at http://www.sunsetdunesgetaway.com

Trip insurance is widely available, and can provide reimbursement, minus a deductible, for the cost of a cancelled trip. Conditions and exclusions exist, but many travel insurance policies protect against trip cancellation caused by natural disaster or bad weather, death or injury to the traveler, financial default of the travel provider, and labor strikes. Additional policies can cover medical needs while traveling, protection if your baggage is lost or delayed and damage to rental cars. The cost of travel insurance depends on three main factors: the price of your trip, the length of stay and the age of the traveler.

If you purchase insurance through Travel Guard, you'll receive a full refund if your trip is canceled due to a hurricane in your destination or if your resort is damaged in a storm and can't provide alternate accommodations.

If your trip is delayed your insurance will cover "reasonable, additional accommodations and travel expenses until travel becomes possible." However, you will only be covered if you purchase insurance before the hurricane is predicted. Once a tropical storm or potential hurricane is identified in your destination area, you forfeit your right to coverage for trip cancellation or delays due to that particular storm.

Each insurance company covers different circumstances for different amounts, so it's best to compare rates and coverage. Two web sites that will help you compare policies quickly and easily are InsureMyTrip.com and QuoteTravelInsurance.com. When you enter your trip details and ages of travelers, the sites will list the prices and descriptions of several policies that fit your needs.

In most cases, travel insurance will not cover you if you decide to cancel your vacation because the weather is likely to be rainy due to a nearby hurricane or because you change your mind. But if you are prevented by forces outside your control from reaching your vacation destination, trip insurance will come to your rescue.

For further info, see http://www.travelguard.com/info/stormguard/hurricanequestions.asp and http://www.quotetravelinsurance.com...t_know_about_hurricanes_travel_insurance.html

Janet