• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
Trim Notices were received by many Walton County taxpayers yesterday. Our hotline has been very busy since then with one question. Why did my taxes go up while my market value dropped ? We have developed the following to try and answer your questions.

Florida law sets January 1 as the assessment date each year for determining both value and exemption eligibility. While January 1, 2009 is the date used for setting your assessed value for the August 2009 TRIM Notice and November 2009 tax bill, the 2009 value was based upon the market value for similar properties in the same or comparable subdivisions during January 2, 2008 - January 1, 2009 (with the greatest weight given to sales from the final quarter of the year). Any 2009 drop in market values will be reflected on your 2010 assessment and tax bill. Likewise, in a year when values increase, those increases will not be reflected until the tax bill the following year.

Under Florida law, a homestead ?recapture? rule may cause some taxable values to rise even when the overall market value dropped from last year.

If you purchase a property in a foreclosure, your actual purchase price may not reflect the just (market) value used for determining your taxes. Although the Florida Department of Revenue (DOR) issued an advisory opinion that foreclosures generally should not be used for assessment purposes, DOR wrote that Property Appraisers may qualify a foreclosure sale if the property was listed for sale on the MLS open market and the property is in normal/good condition. Tax Year 2009 is the first time in which DOR is allowing foreclosure sales to be qualified in determining assessments. ThE DOR believes -- and those MLS-listed foreclosure sales are arm?s length ?normal market condition? sales under the current recessionary economic conditions and reflect market values. They also qualify short sales, using the same criteria they use for foreclosures. Regardless of your purchase price, assessments in Florida are done a year in arrears.

This means your 2009 assessment will be based on the sales in your neighborhood (excluding non-arm?s length transactions and other ?disqualified? transfers) between January 2, 2008 and January 1, 2009.

If you are Homesteaded and your ?Save Our Homes? (SOH) value is less than the market value as of January 1, Florida Administrative Code Rule 12D-8.0062(5) explicitly orders the property appraiser to increase your overall assessed value each year (up to the 3% annual cap level) until it eventually reaches the same amount as the market value.

Although the Department of Revenue set this year?s SOH cap rate at 1/10 of 1% -- meaning your Homesteaded assessed value will be almost unchanged from last year -- you will likely not experience any noticeable decline in taxes even though your market value dropped. Roughly 40% of Walton County homeowners will experience the recapture effects of this law -- mostly owners who purchased and homesteaded their properties before 2003.

Talk to your State Senator and Representative if you believe this recapture provision should be amended or repealed.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If you are Homesteaded and your “Save Our Homes” (SOH) value is less than the market value as of January 1, Florida Administrative Code Rule 12D-8.0062(5) explicitly orders the property appraiser to increase your overall assessed value each year (up to the 3% annual cap level) until it eventually reaches the same amount as the market value.

This part must be deeply embedded in the Code.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
This part must be deeply embedded in the Code.

Maybe this will help ! Recapture has been there since 1995 !

FLORIDA STATUTES:

Section 193.155 - Homestead assessments.-- Homestead property shall be assessed at just value as of January 1, 1994. Property receiving the homestead exemption after January 1, 1994, shall be assessed at just value as of January1 of the year in which the property receives the exemption.

(1) Beginning in 1995, or the year following the year the property receives homestead exemption, whichever is later, the property shall be reassessed annually on January 1.

Any change resulting from such reassessment shall not exceed the lower of the following:
(a) Three percent of the assessed value of the property for the prior year; or

(b) The percentage change in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers, U.S.

City Average, all items 1967=100, or successor reports for the preceding calendar year as initially reported by the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics.

(2) If the assessed value of the property as calculated under subsection (1) exceeds the just value, the assessed value of the property shall be lowered to the just value of the property.

FLORIDA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE: Rule 12D-8.0062. Assessments; Homestead; Limitations.
(3) The assessed value of each individual homestead property shall change annually, but shall not exceed just value.

(4) Where the current year just value of an individual property exceeds the prior year assessed value, the property appraiser is required to increase the prior year's assessed value by the lower of:

(a) Three percent; or

(b) The percentage change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for all urban consumers, U.S. City Average, all items 1967=100, or successor reports for the preceding calendar year as initially reported by the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics.

(5) If the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) referenced in paragraph (5)(b) is negative, then the assessed value shall be the prior year's assessed value decreased by that percentage.

(7) The assessed value of an individual homestead property shall not exceed just value.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
I'm confused. I received our TRIM notice for our homesteaded property.

Market Value went down, but since we're homesteaded, taxes aren't based on market value.

Assessed Value went up by 11.55%
Taxable Value (after exemption) went up by 12.58%, even more for the School portion.

According to the above post, shouldn't the 11.55% be limited to 3%?

BTW - Our taxes, if proposed budget change is made, goes up by 20%!! If no budget change is made our taxes will go up by 34.5%!!

Last edited:

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
I'm confused. I received our TRIM notice for our homesteaded property.

Market Value went down, but since we're homesteaded, taxes aren't based on market value.

Assessed Value went up by 11.55%
Taxable Value (after exemption) went up by 12.58%, even more for the School portion.

According to the above post, shouldn't the 11.55% be limited to 3%?

BTW - Our taxes, if proposed budget change is made, goes up by 20%!! If no budget change is made our taxes will go up by 34.5%!!

Let me ask a couple of questions:

#1 - Did you make any improvements to your home? (added a pool, room, etc)

#2 - Did the property appraisers office make an official inspection on your property during the past year that would have shown any improvements?

Basically your assessed value should have only increased by .1% over last year, if you had no additions, improvements, ect.

Assessed value - Exemptions = Taxable value and Taxable value X the millage rate = taxes.

Remember the School District Raised their millage rate by about 15%, and the Amendment 1 increase in Exemptions are not applicable to the school district. (You do not get the additional $25,000 exemption).

If the answers to #1 and #2 are no, then I would suggest you make a visit or call to the Property Appraisers office for an explanation.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I'm afraid to go to the mailbox. :puke:

I finally looked, and although I haven't taken the time to do math, mine on my homesteaded property are up by more than 3% too. Far more than 3%. But I've not yet compared values, etc.

And since 15 acres in NoWal with an ag exemption non-homestead taxable value $12,377 equal taxes of $107, I'd say wrobert got himself a deal in Holmes County. :roll:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
mine are down, but FFF would say they were too high to start with. :D no homestead here.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I finally looked, and although I haven't taken the time to do math, mine on my homesteaded property are up by more than 3% too. Far more than 3%. But I've not yet compared values, etc.

And since 15 acres in NoWal with an ag exemption non-homestead taxable value $12,377 equal taxes of $107, I'd say wrobert got himself a deal in Holmes County. :roll:

You were obviously a poor math student and not an economics major.

10 acres in Holmes County, no ag exemption, $500 taxes, valued at $30K.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
You were obviously a poor math student and not an economics major.

10 acres in Holmes County, no ag exemption, $500 taxes, valued at $30K.

I was an excellent math student and my majors were hospitality, accounting and business admin, thank you very much.

However, it appears that I cannot now see straight (or possibly have double vision), as I thought you said you guys got 100 acres. :blink: And I was very jealous.

Does it have a pond? :D