• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Wondering if hotels along I20 (Vicksburg/Jackson areas) are still housing Katrina evacuees and if we should be concerned about availability shortages.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Rita -

I would definitely call ahead to check availability, because besides evacuees, there are also many recovery workers who are staying in both Mississippi and Louisiana. I am currently in Baton Rouge, LA assisting in the Louisiana recovery efforts (have been here since November 1). Hotel rooms are definitely difficult to find, and many agencies (i.e. FEMA, Red Cross, etc.) are keeping the rooms reserved for their personnel. Many displaced families also still in hotels across the areas.

Good luck!

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Thanks. We have arrived home. Such a short trip. :sosad: Hated to leave.
We were Ok with finding lodging. Got in early enough.

There was a lot of roof damage and downed trees from Jackson to Hattiesburg and south. Was this from the tornadoes that went through? This area got hit pretty bad and we hadn't heard about it on national news.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Rita said:
Thanks. We have arrived home. Such a short trip. :sosad: Hated to leave.
We were Ok with finding lodging. Got in early enough.

There was a lot of roof damage and downed trees from Jackson to Hattiesburg and south. Was this from the tornadoes that went through? This area got hit pretty bad and we hadn't heard about it on national news.

Glad to hear you found lodging. Must be easier than it is here in Louisiana.

That is my understanding...that the Hattiesburg area was heavily damaged my several tornadoes. Damage is much different in the Orleans area..lots of flooding damage in addition to wind damage. You can't even begin to imagine what it's like until you actually see it. These poor people have been through so much. Seeing things I'm not used to seeing in the Midwest....like alligators and lots of snakes...yikes!