• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
goodbye Seagrove Market

From Walton Sun

Developers of the Downtown Seagrove project are selling a dream ? the chance to own a piece of Hotel Viridian, an upscale hotel with high-end stores, fancy restaurants and a full-service spa ?they hope will become a destination for visitors to South Walton.
Although several long-established companies will be temporarily relocated from the intersection of County Roads 30A and 395 while the complex is built, developers don?t want to lose the hometown community feel the area has known for many years.
At town hall meetings, locals asked developers of the project, ?What are you going to do for us,? said Realtor Billy McConnell.
Seagrove Village Market and Seagrove on the Beach Realty will return once the project is completed. Region?s Bank will return to a site just north of the hotel at the corner of Grove Avenue and 395.
?And to make the locals feel warm and welcome, there will be The Georg, a lobby bar with patio doors opening to face the Gulf of Mexico,? said McConnell.
?The Georg will be a lively, upscale bar,? said Chip Harding one of the partners in DST Carnival, the developers of Hotel Viridian.
The complex, defined as a condo-tel, will have 30 hotel rooms and suites and 10 condominiums on the second, third and fourth floors.
The hotel rooms will range from 600 square feet to 1,200 square feet. The largest rooms, two corner king rooms on the second and third floors of the hotel, will offer Gulf views, a living-dining area, powder room, private bath with steam shower and soaking tub. The architect has eliminated the ?long dark hallway of most hotel rooms,? said McConnell, ?instead offering expansive entrances.?
The 10 condo-villas with two- and three-bedroom units are similarly designed.
Each room, suite and condos can be purchased as a permanent residence or can be placed in a rental program.
The project is still awaiting a development order, with demolition anticipated to begin in March and April, but pre-sales have begun.
Prices for the hotel rooms range from $299,000 to $1,995,000 and the condos from $2,260,000 to $2,950,000.
?The Seagrove Village Market will be in the same spot, and with the same flavor,? said Hartley on the first floor of the complex along with other high end retails shops. There will also be a hair salon and wellness center on that level.
The fourth floor rooftop 100-seat restaurant and bar will be available to guests of the condo-tel during the day and open to all in the evenings. A negative edge pool on that same floor will spill over to create a waterfall that is planned as a site for weddings and parties, said McConnell.
Parking for the complex will be provided in a 92-car underground parking garage.
For more information on the project, contact McConnell at (850) 865-2088.

More info at the architect's website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Re: goodbye Seagrove Market

?The Seagrove Village Market will be in the same spot, and with the same flavor,?

I don't really see how this can be. I'm really sad too KD.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama

Ocean Lover said:
?The Seagrove Village Market will be in the same spot, and with the same flavor,?

I don't really see how this can be. I'm really sad too KD.

By the looks of the picture, it sure doesn't look like the same flavor to me. It looks too foo foo for me.

CastlesOfSand

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005

Wow, I can't believe it! Why change an already good thing? :roll:

Dunno

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri

OH man, what a bummer :sosad:
we just love that place, its so charming and has that old town feel,
of course we will go to the new one but it looks so different...poo-poo :sosad:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

Oh man...this REALLY breaks my heart.

The Village Market "is" Seagrove Beach. :sosad:

Another piece of our history, gone.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com

.....?The Seagrove Village Market will be in the same spot, and with the same flavor,?.....

...And to make the locals feel warm and welcome, there will be The Georg, a lobby bar with patio doors opening to face the Gulf of Mexico,?...

That's either the dumbest or the most insulting line I've ever heard from a developer. Can someone help me out? Are they so worried that locals will be upset about a couple of old buildings getting replaced? Are they worried that the project is obviously out of place and too dense?

How do you pronounce Georg? Is it George without the "E" for owner George Hartley? Or is it Gay-org after a russian czar?