• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
This is a case where our County...Planning Dept and Commissioners let us down They are always saying we will only approve new businesses that fit into the neighborhood and WILL NOT impact the area....yea right. Makes me wonder what was offered up to allow this Thing. I am not sure they have the best interests of the SeaGrove area or for that matter, any of our small communities located along 30A. Eventually trying to drive on 30A will be a hazard to your health...rather than scenic.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
For all of those interested in how the future development of Seagrove progresses, I suggest you look into the development of a neighborhood plan which is what Blue Mountain Beach has done. You can say how you want the area developed and the neighbohood plan trumps land use codes in some instances. Check with the planning department for details.

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
If you don't like Viridian compared to the Florida cottage looks of old Seagrove and Seaside, just compare it to something much less attractive, and it will shine.

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
If you don't like Viridian compared to the Florida cottage looks of old Seagrove and Seaside, just compare it to something much less attractive, and it will shine.

AND, why should those that live in and love this area, have to settle for an "imaginary ugly vision" to accept what our Commissioners and Planning Department is doing to our community? Why not just stand up to them and TRY to stop them. I realize Prop 4 ...has problems...but at least it allows the community to have a vote...and doesn't leave all Development Changes in the hands of a few, who really don't listen to the public,...which was pretty obvious at both the Planning and Commissioner's Comprehensive Plan meetings where proposed lot changes were reviewed.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't have a major problem with the look - far prefer some interest and variety to badly done cookie cutter houses.

And you can find multiple examples of similar architecture nearby - it isn't the only anomaly in the neighborhood.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I don't have a major problem with the look - far prefer some interest and variety to badly done cookie cutter houses.

And you can find multiple examples of similar architecture nearby - it isn't the only anomaly in the neighborhood.

That's only because the original architect had his office across the road. :roll:

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010

Not your neighborhood, right? Easy to say if it isn't in your backyard my friend.

Yarmap

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Northeast Alabama
Was down last week and saw it under construction. It looked like something that might have been designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in the 50's/60's.

Pehgi

Beach Crab
May 11, 2011
It's all about money. Plain and simple. Sad truth.
If people want a disgusting "Miami scene" then go to freaking Miami. The reason this stretch of 30A is so charming is because it never sold out to the "big box" philosophy. The preservation and the feel of "old Florida" is slipping away like the sand dunes as will your safe neighborhoods. People cOme here because it's NOT Miami. Sad indeed. Sold out.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I like the finished product (wasn't sure if that would be the case during construction). I don't find it to be out of touch with the neighborhood or very "Miami" at all. It's low, it's inviting, it's neutral/beachy colors.

They built a restaurant that is smaller than most of the recently constructed houses. You want to blame someone for "big box" houses and destroying the feel of neighborhoods, there are plenty better candidates to criticize.

Must say I was very disappointed that the gorgeous old scrub oaks had to be cut down and hate that they put up palm trees, but other than that they did a good job, have gorgeous landscaping, and I think it's a nice addition to the neighborhood. (Though I sure wouldn't mind if they cleaned up the lot across the street already!)