1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Housing Bubble

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Joe, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Joe

Joe Beach Lover

I am curious to get some opinions on whether or not we are in a housing bubble and how long you think the crazy real estate market is sustainable.

Some interesting points...

--A NAR report found that investors accounted for 23 percent of the nation's 2004 home sale transactions, with second-home buyers taking an additional 13 percent of all sales transactions.

--Home prices have become far out of line with wages.

--The current buy/flip rage in the housing market is all too reminiscent of the run-up in the NASDAQ before it burst. If the NAR report is correct then almost ? of all buying is speculative investments.

Personally I have no idea what is going to happen especially in areas like South Walton. Vacation home markets are much different than primary resident markets. It just seems to me that things are becoming borderline unrealistic.

2. Just_In_Thyme

Just_In_Thyme Beach Lover

I used to own property on Hilton Head Island, SC. I thought the same thing about a bubble over there when ocean front homes starting selling for $3M. They are now going for up to $7M. We sold and came over to Seagrove and are seeing the same run up. I have never seen home prices in resort areas decrease. Sometimes they stop increasing but in the 10 years we have owned beach property we have never seen a decrease. Of course I can't speak for the condo market that I believe is much more specultive. There is a limit to homesites and homes, but condos can be built up.

3. Rather B Paddlin

Rather B Paddlin Beach Lover

There are several factors to consider about the increasing price of vacation homes in South Walton county that will prevent a bubble for at least the near future.

1. Eventhough the prices of beach homes are high, they are still less than many other beach resort areas.

2. People have shown a tolerance for large negative cash flow situations (>$25,000) on vacation investments in high rise condos for years at Sandestin.

3. The people from the midwest are just beginning to discover and enjoy the white sand beaches. The drive is just a tad bit longer than the drive to Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head. Beaches are no comparison. There is a large population base with the financial resources to fuel the demand for vacation property here .

4. People want to control their financial future. Past loses in the stock market will have lingering effects on future investments. The economy is coming back. People are going to have investment cash.

5. Here come the baby boomers.

6. Less overseas travel, means more domestic travel.

7. :confused: Only bad news is everything goes in cycles.

4. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Also:

We're going to see strong population growth coupled with a shrinking amount of developable land close to the coast- Walton's been one of the 100 fastest growing counties in the country since 2000. Redevelopment options are limited compared to places like PCB- no high rises, generally lower density. And there are huge chunks of land that are more or less permanently off the table because of the state forest, Eglin Reservation up by Freeport, and NW Florida Greenway conservation easements. (with more conservation easements apparently in the works)

I think Eglin is going to come through the latest round of BRAC with additional mission responsibilities that will also play a role in curbing further development on the FL 20 corridor. There's been talk of a new urban combat training area east of Villa Tasso. More land will be restricted from development by the Greenway.

Yeah, buyers could go elsewhere in the region, but PCB is probably a good ten years out in terms of getting the kinds of upscale amenities you get on 30-A, the Big Bend has some negatives to it, and Mississippi's beaches just aren't as nice.

So I can see a plateau, but not a serious contraction in prices any time soon.

5. Buckhead Rick

Buckhead Rick Beach Lover

A client/friend who has been investing in R/E for 30 years (St. George area) and talked me into investing in the panhandle had the same thing to say about beach property as those above, it moves up, goes sideways, then goes up again, seldom goes down because it is a tangible asset and most buyers realise time will bail them out. The OTC market had companies with no sales going up in value. Now condos are another matter since sooo many more can be build quickly in a small area, they do go down when over speculation takes hold. P/C smells like that now.

6. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

The market in general you have to wonder about. The stock crash and scare, low interest rates, liberal lending, and no interest loans have fueled a boom. If rates hit double digits it could pose a problem.

I believe SoWal is unique for some of the reasons we all know well. It will become more and more exlusive, similar to, but prettier than other southern resorts like Marco, Amelia, Sea Island, etc. But SoWal is so unique and beautiful that it may surpass all those and become an international destination like the Riviera, the Caribbean, etc.

Do you think the new airport might change the whole panhandle?

7. SoWalSally

SoWalSally Beach Fanatic

I think we're going to have a bigger frenzy this Summer than last.

8. Buckhead Rick

Buckhead Rick Beach Lover

Fridays NY times had a balanced article about a housing bubble, what stricks me is as long as the popular press "talks" about a bubble, it has not arrived yet. The articles are keeping some potential buyers out of the market and tops occur when all the buyers have arrived and bought. At some time the specutive part of the market will get soft, i.e. the prices of the PC condo's will not only not go up but will come down as the multi unit owners lighten up, but as far as the blue chip side , you and I will continue to wait for the call that will never come for your chance to buy in Ayls beach.

9. fisher

fisher Beach Fanatic

Interesting posts from about 3 years ago.

10. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

:lolabove:

Nostradami they were not! Up...sideways...never down...right

11. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    Where did Fox go? :idontno:

12. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

When did SHELLY (and any others who spoke up) first start predicting the "economic meltdown"? I saw his (her) posts when I joined in Dec 2006...

Oh SHEL-LY?

When did you know and when did you start saying so?

When I first read SHELLY's posts I thought I was reading something written by Chicken Little and although there was incredible wit, smarts and humor in them- I didn't take them seriously...

Until everything (s)he said came true...

:shock:

GW

13. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

Shelly = The Seer of Sowal. Lookout Oracle of Omaha :wave:

14. RB1

RB1 Beach Lover

I think the upcoming Panama City International Airport will certainly have an effect on the growth of our area, making investments in our area more solid than other resort destinations. Not only do we have the most beautiful beaches, but the airport will bring in European visitors, as well as those from the northeast, who never before were offered a direct flight into our area. In addition, the airport will serve as a hub, bringing in many who might never have thought about vacationing here. I believe a boom is more likely than a bubble because of the future airport.;-)

15. fisher

fisher Beach Fanatic

Direct flights to PCB (the redneck Riviera with cool winter temps compared to South Florida) from Europe and the NE??? Orlando and Miami for sure--PCB not too likely.

16. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

How many times will the dreaded ARMs adjust before the first load of speedo wearing Euros is delivered?;-)

17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

:lolabove: :clap: :funn:

18. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:lolabove:...I am going to gather up the boatload of Euros in Mr. K's drawer and come buy some beach property!

19. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

I've been watching House Hunters International, and they've been showing a lot of Spanish and Portugese vacation homes lately. Not sure how the weather is there in winter, but that area looks like it would be awesome in the summer- all kinds of charming coastal villages, beaches, interesting architecture, wonderful places to explore...

And that part of the world seemed very reasonably priced, even with the current exchange rate. Far more so than France or Italy would be.

20. RB1

RB1 Beach Lover

More likely than you think - for Europeans our winter temps are very mild. And they get a lot more bang for their buck on our beach verses South Beach, etc. And Europeans are not necessarily snowbirds - France, for example, celebrates their "summer break" in August and for an entire month. If you go to Paris in August, you'll find it feels empty, other than the tourists. In October, schools are let out for a few weeks and families head out - perfect weather in our area for those Europeans who can't take the August heat. Believe it or not, the Panhandle doesn't have a "redneck" reputation in France. Most of them haven't even heard of our beach - but they will. I think of Field of Dreams when I think of the new airport - build it and they will come!