• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
Millions of people have had to evacuate areas in south Mississippi and New Orleans and won't be able to return to what's left of their homes for possibly weeks. New Orleans isn't accessible from the east at all and probably won't be for quite sometime - it's continuing to flood and power officials say that are literally going to have to start from scratch to rebuild their power grid. Millions will be homeless and won't be able to afford to rebuild. These aren't people with second homes.

As a community, we've been through hurricanes. For a time, we even thought that we might be going through this now instead of them. Anyone who has property that isn't occupied anywhere in Walton County - please post here with contact information. If not for free, for greatly reduced rates.

Newman-Dailey is contacting owners on its rental program. I'm going to contact Abbot, Rivard, etc and ask them to post contact information here as well since this is the best bulletin board in the area.

Thanks

Last edited:

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
Re: Housing

This morning, due to continue rising water in the City, those people remaining in the City of New Orleans are being told to leave - so the situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Re: Housing

WaltonUndercurrent said:
This morning, due to continue rising water in the City, those people remaining in the City of New Orleans are being told to leave - so the situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

I heard that as well. I know wishing does no good, but I do wish more citizens had heeded the call in LA and MS. It's also easy for me to say that sitting here in Dallas. The footage of that poor man on FOX that watched his wife float away has haunted me all morning. I assume many of us will have to check availability with our management companies.

Last edited:

Sandie

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005
Thank heavens I didn't see that! I've been so sad watching all the horrible sights. I'm in Valdosta GA, just wanting to do something, not just to send money. This is when I wish I was not a teacher and had the time and money to go and help. My heart and prayers go out to each and everyone that is effected by this storm. Next time I pray ALL will heed the warnings and LEAVE. People coming out of their roofs, I've just never seen anything like this and just don't know what to do. I just pray.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
WaltonUndercurrent said:
Newman-Dailey is contacting owners on its rental program. I'm going to contact Abbot, Rivard, etc and ask them to post contact information here as well since this is the best bulletin board in the area.

Thanks

Jeanne Dailey (Newman Dailey) contacted us after Dennis. She asked us to put up a local family that had extensive damage to their home - She rented it for 1/3 our normal price and Newman-Dailey also cut their commission. My rent check didn't look to good - but it made my heart feel better.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
We had planned on going to the consignment shops in Destin to see if we could make a few $$ from the furniture--sofa, table, chairs, etc--that we don't want as we remodel our little condo. Now that we know how many are homeless, it's going directly to Goodwill so it can be put to good use by people affected by Katrina's wrath.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Mermaid said:
We had planned on going to the consignment shops in Destin to see if we could make a few $$ from the furniture--sofa, table, chairs, etc--that we don't want as we remodel our little condo. Now that we know how many are homeless, it's going directly to Goodwill so it can be put to good use by people affected by Katrina's wrath.

:clap_1: And it will be so appreciated!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Mermaid said:

Fantastic idea! I've been doing some redecorating here and have been wondering how I could get old stuff over there later when things get better.

Dreaming watercolor

Beach Comber
Nov 17, 2004
The Woodlands Texas
I just called Watercolor and spoke to Kevin our property manager. I asked if
we owners and St Joe can do something to help the people in New Orleans and he told me they were going to meet tomorrow to discuss options for long term rentals, lowered costs ectr....I will keep you postedl

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Dreaming watercolor said:
I just called Watercolor and spoke to Kevin our property manager. I asked if
we owners and St Joe can do something to help the people in New Orleans and he told me they were going to meet tomorrow to discuss options for long term rentals, lowered costs ectr....I will keep you postedl

Thanks...I was just getting ready to email Jay Sien myself! I appreciate your news.