organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Re: How about a SoWal for kids?

Mine would love it, in a few years.... Grayt idea!

I don't really let them near the computer yet. They've only been on a few times in regards to educational games that were recommended by school. But I would let them on local areas where they could connect with their friends as they grow up.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

This is a great idea, but things to consider. Things a 13year old are into are not what a 8 year old is into, but I don't know how you would keep one out of the others if that makes sense. How would you monitor the possibility of predators lurking? Just some thoughts. :roll:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

Kurt, I think a separate area. I think even outside of the lounge, some things that are talked about are not appropriate for younger kids. Sometimes, even the way people talk to one another in heated debates are not always respectful of one another. QUOTE]

I agree, there would need to be some tough moderators. I think posting goings on in South Walton for kids especially with summer coming on, good place to review things for them to do. Clubs, classes, events, to name a few. Also have some kind of undercover moderator to keep watch from the sheriffs department.

30gAy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 4, 2006
The greater SoWal metro area

Ugh.

I vote no kid's forum on SoWal.

Nothing but a good excuse for all the prudes to try to censor the rest of us 'because the children might see'.

Besides, your kid doesn't need to spend any more time in front of the computer, or TV. Kick their butts outside and make 'em play, you know- with real people instead of online buddies.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

Good point 30-gAy. Kids don't play enough now. We used to be "kicked out of the house" on a pretty day and no going in and out. It was either in or out and we always chose OUT....much more stuff to do and get into without Mom watching over our shoulder! Playing in the water (with just the hose, no sprinkler) was funnnn! :clap_1: SoWal for kids....what are we thinking????:dunno:

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach

Ugh.

Nothing but a good excuse for all the prudes to try to censor the rest of us 'because the children might see'.

Besides, your kid doesn't need to spend any more time in front of the computer, or TV. Kick their butts outside and make 'em play, you know- with real people instead of online buddies.

You read my mind! I agree 100%. :clap_1:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach

I heard that some schools already have their own forums where the kids log in under their student ID's. They also have forums for parents that does not interfere with the students to avoid predators.

Might be a suggestion to make to the local schools and suggestions could be made about threads to start.

My nephew just moved to Georgia, and it helped him meet some kids that weren't in his classes but were in his grade. He also met other students selected from the school for the Junior Young Leaders.

He's limited on how much time he can spend on it. They should put timers on them and log you off with a big pop up that says:

"Get the hey outside" :lol:

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

SoWal is tame compared to my son's MySpace messages. :eek:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Ugh.

30gAy's true reason for not wanting the kids to have their own page is that his kids will be tying up the computer and he will not be able to get any time on SoWal.com :funn: