• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
well it's true old farts vote more than young'ens, ....just before the early bird hour.
We were talking about who shows up at County meetings, not who votes. I'm not sure that it matters. I was just questioning the "fact" part of the statement.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
SJ, for five years I went to every planning commission meeting and at least 75% of the BCC meetings. But I haven't been going lately, so maybe things have changed. If so, that is good. But four people :eek: at the last BCC meeting isn't very encouraging.
Actually that should probably be more like one person in attendance as a citizen. I don't really think you can count reporters and while the SWCC are there as citizen activists/watchdogs, I am really speaking of people who go on their own to participate in local govt on a regular basis, and not those who only show up once in a while because something in their neighborhood is on the agenda.
That's good that you go. But you must have a flexible work schedule of some sort.:dunno: My point is that it is hard, very hard, for people with a full time work schedule set by an employer to make very many meetings. I personally would like to see more students and young people. But I haven't a clue how to motivate them. Do you??

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
well it's true old farts vote more than young'ens, ....just before the early bird hour.

Guess what, Bob, I know you don't believe it now, but one of these days, you will be one of those old farts. :rotfl::rotfl:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
From FAR:
Amendment 1 benefits those who want to move into a different home, seniors seeking to downsize, and business owners facing rising property values.

Have you been dreaming of moving into a bigger house because your family is growing? Have you lived in your home for years and are looking to buy a smaller home because the kids have grown up and moved to a new city? The scenarios below can help explain how the property tax cut from Amendment 1 will save your money.

Seems to me that it leaves out as many people as it supposedly helps.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
The Gov. has stated that this is only a start to the reforms, so is there definitely more to come? no way to know i guess. i am inclined to vote yes if i could see some additional plans for more meaningful legislation in the near future. New buyer's get left out...and they resent the present model of "last one home is a rotten egg."

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
NotDeadYet, I've been going to the meetings for only the last 3-4 years, and I don't make all of the meetings, but I try to. TV shows or normal parental duties keep many people from going. I think the past Tuesday's BCC four hour meeting was the quickest BCC meeting I've been to. I'd like to see parents taking their kids to some meeting on occasion, just to educate the kids and the parents, but I, myself, have a difficult time with 5 hour meetings while missing dinner. I'm not sure what would get more young people involved, but it seems that if you really want to change a populations way of doing something, you have to start by educating the children, planning for long term change, rather than immediate change. I've mentioned that I'd like to see the County Meetings broadcast online or a local tv channel, so that people can at least hear and see what is happening. It would be easier for a single mother of two kids to tune in while she is preparing dinner, than it would be to get a sitter and attend the meetings. I don't think it would solve the problems, as these people wouldn't be able to object to anything, except after the vote, and that really doesn't carry much weight. However, I do think it could create a little more interest in local gov't.

Regarding the times of the meetings. I don't know how they can better schedule five hour meetings. If they back it up until 5:30pm, that would make the meetings run extremely late into the night, and it would be likely that even fewer people would stay for the entire meetings. All of the development plans are voted on at the end of the meetings, so that wouldn't be good.

I should probably clarify the note of the four people in attendance at the last meeting. I was being a little extreme with my statement to prove the point. At 4pm, there were more people there. They quickly drop like flies, as their issue is brought forth. (It's a "me-thing"). After the Legislative Items were checked off the list, and the quasi-judicial items came up, that is when the four people from the public were left. For the projects which were voted upon, there was zero discussion, and the items were pushed through without objection, and only one comment/adjustment on the HUGE Blackstone DRI development regarding ribbon curbing and multi-use paths.

I'm not sure that I can motivate other people to do anything. I can simply start with myself, taking interest in the local gov't. I should also note that, as a Realtor, I think that part of my duties to my customers is to stay up to date with local gov't, and that gives me more interest in attending the meetings. It is difficult enough to control my own self, and controlling others is beyond my scope. We each have to try to do our own part, and educate ourselves.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Guess what, Bob, I know you don't believe it now, but one of these days, you will be one of those old farts. :rotfl::rotfl:
I am olde, but young a heart for a semi-olde fart. Your assertion was correct. Unless it conflicts with wheel of fortune or tee times, the blue hairs are the ones with the most time for government meetings.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Bob, you know that even with the latest non-invasive cataract surgery, most blue-hairs don't like to drive at night. Around here, they'd rather be sitting at home watching tv or sleeping, or whatever it is they do between 4p-10p.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
That was a very thoughtful post, SJ. I too would like to see the meetings broadcast. You know, the Bay County BCC meetings are at least available on the radio, NPR to be specific. This idea has been kicked around for years, but like so many other good ideas, it never becomes a reality. I believe the county just does not want it to happen. It isn't rocket science and it isn't expensive, either.

I'm gonna dispute you on the age sterotypes though. I got cataracts at a very early age, too much beach sun probably, and I've had the surgery. I see great at night now, and I haven't got blue hair, either. :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm gonna dispute you on the age sterotypes though. I got cataracts at a very early age, too much beach sun probably, and I've had the surgery. I see great at night now, and I haven't got blue hair, either. :D
Well there's the difference. I was referring to the blue hairs, specifically. :lol: Unfortunately, many of my blue haired friends cannot drive at night due to the star-effect of lights.

Back to the broadcasting of the meetings, I think most every County Commissioner in every county and state are a little scared of letting the public see what happens at the meetings, or what specifically is being said and by whom. However, I don't see that as the problem. I think their real problem comes in thought that most of the objections would be after the discussion and vote, as opposed to when the public should have voiced their opinions (prior to the vote, and during the discussion). People should take an ACTIVE roll in gov't, not a REACTIVE roll. Active doesn't mean serving in office. In my thoughts, it means voicing your concerns so that the local gov't can base their decisions on the facts and broad testimony. It means being proactive.