1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

How did Blue Mountain Beach fair during Arlene?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by alic65, Jun 13, 2005.

1. alic65

alic65 Beach Lover

We are coming down Sat. (June 18)....i sure kept a close watch on Arlene, anyone know how the Blue Mountain Beach area came through? I'm a little worried! :sosad:

2. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

:D Kurt has posted alot of pictures, and smiling joe has too.

3. alic65

alic65 Beach Lover

Thanks! :shock: I don't know if I feel better, or worse! :blink: Guess it could be worse......

4. seagrovelover

There is a majical feeling in the air in south walton, even if the beaches aren't at their best, it's still the best place for a vacation :cool:

5. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

Blue Mountain was narrow from 83 to Big Redfish, I'm guessing some walkovers{private} were damaged.

6. alic65

alic65 Beach Lover

:clap_1: I totally agree with the magical part, I LOVE the beaches down there.....even though I've never seen South Walton, We go to Destin or Panama City Beach, the water and sand are the same. :) I have gotten sooo much wonderful info. from this board. Thank you all, and I can't wait to come to this gorgeous playground!!! :wink:

7. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

I looked at the public access at 83. The access was warped a bit and there's a 2 foot drop at the bottom where the sand was missing. The sand missing from the dunes was about the same as in Seacrest. The houses just east of the access had some walkover damage.

Grayton was spectacular tonight.

8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

When our beaches get back to "normal," you will find much difference between SoWal's Beaches and those of Panty Maw City Beach. Sure, the sand looks similar, but in PCB you will find more trash mixed in with the sand. All of SoWal's Beaches have received the highest honors in the nation for clean beaches. We are the only county in the US to have all of its beaches receive the designation of Blue Wave Beaches from the Clean Beaches Council. You should come enjoy this gorgeous playground.

9. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

I agree with you Seagrovelover!!!! I have been so blessed in all the years that I have been coming to South Walton to have the beautiful white sand beaches, perfect conditions, and I loved every minute of it. As you know, we will be coming down on the 25th of June. I am expecting to be a little overwhelmed at the condition of the beaches, but as you say it is a magical place no matter what the beach looks like. We will all have wonderful time despite it. It is a wonderful place and I love being able to rejuvinate for that week!!! I so look forward to getting there !!!!!:D

10. seagrovelover

Amen Sister!!!!! :clap_1:

11. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

Hey folks, We could all go to Home Depot and each buy 1 bag of pure white play sand. Then each donor could choose where to donate his/her section of beach. Those choosing Grayton Beach would be eligible for a free beverage at the Red Bar. Those choosing Seaside could then wait tables at the Red Bar. Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!

12. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Actually, Bob, you hit on something I was thinking about earlier. Suppose each individual property owner took it upon themselves to fix their own little area of the beach. I imagine it would probably take many bags of play sand, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

13. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Whoa! The big question is, "who is monitoring the type and color of sand that owners are adding?" That is a huge issue right now. Who knows, Crazy Larry may dump a few trucks of of rip rap to ensure his house doesn't wash away.

14. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

The county could allow people to haul sand from one of their approved white sand suppliers, and people could just go get what they want. No charge of course. I doub't it would make much of a dent, but it couldn't hurt. :D

15. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

My understanding is that the County Commissioners are still working out the details on "approved pits." They were trying to change the wording of the law so that you would not have to have each load inspected and graded if it was excavated from an approved pit. I missed the last meeting and do not know if this issue was resolved.