• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
i recently bought a home in walton county thats a good 30% under the accessed tax value for 2008. my taxes at closing were set up on the 2008 assessment.my question is exactly what steps do i need to do to contest this to get them lowered? i believe the new tax values come out in april or so and are mailed in oct. my question is will the county see that i paid 30% less than the previous years assessment and lower my property taxes to around what i paid ?are do i need to file an appeal immediately and show my closing hud statement of my sales price? all help on the steps to take appreciated.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
2009 taxes will be based on your value as of Jan. 1, so the timing will probably be in your favor.

You will be notified I believe in August about your assessed value for 2009 (this is about two months before they actually mail the bill). You have 25 days to file an appeal with the county if you believe the assessment is in error.

If you are homesteading, don't forget to turn in the proper paperwork to the county. I believe that deadline is March 1.

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
i closed after jan 1st so i'm i screwed for 2009? will i have to appeal?also i live out of state and this is a second home so i can't get homestead can i? do out of state home owners apply for homestead and get it? don't they ask for a copy of your license so if you're out of state you can't get?thanks

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I wouldn't worry about whether or not they will take the sale into account. They will.

Under no circumstances is it legal for you to apply for a homestead exemption unless it is your primary residence. The fact that your mailing address is out of state would probably tip them off. :roll:

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
so tampa i should just wait till i see the assessment in the mail in july and go from there? no need to contest till i see that right?

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Exactly. I think you may be able to see the assessed value online at waltonpa.com a couple of weeks before the notices go out.

Once the notices are out, you will have only 25 days to appeal -- they are very strict. It may also help you to track comp sales so you can tell whether your sale is in line with others in the area. I'm sure you would also be helped by the fact that you went under contract (I'm assuming) to buy the house before Jan. 1.

But I would not worry too much, as Bobby J indicates. They lowered assessments on a bunch of property last year so yours will probably drop automatically.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
i closed after jan 1st so i'm i screwed for 2009? will i have to appeal?also i live out of state and this is a second home so i can't get homestead can i? do out of state home owners apply for homestead and get it? don't they ask for a copy of your license so if you're out of state you can't get?thanks

No you can't. It is incredibly illegal.

Homestead = the home you live in, not vacation in.

ClintClint

Beach Fanatic
Jul 2, 2008
Your purchase will become the new value. So yes, they should.

"Chasing sales" is legal in Florida?? It's a big no-no in Ga as of today but may change soon due to pending legislation.
Keep in mind, If you appeal, the County can also raise the assessment and subpoena lots of different knids of records (at least in Ga.)