How do you fish?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Travel2Much, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Travel2Much

Travel2Much Beach Lover

Literally and seriously. Let's say I had a hypothetical friend who was sort of interested in these people fishing on the beach, thinking it might be sort of a cool way to spend an afternoon. So, you have to have a pole and some line, but what else? Is there some sort of special hook you use? A particular pole? I assume you put some sort of bait on it but is there a particular sort? Say you actually get something. Do you have to kill it or is there a way to let it go after thanking it for the experience?

Are there any schools around that teach this for city idiots?

My hypothetical friend would appreciate some guidance if any is available.

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

:floor: :floor: :floor: You have me laughing hard. Sounds to me like someone's "hypothetical" friend has the itch for a little fishing. Good for you. I mean good for your hypothetical friend. Fishing can be a great way to spend a little relaxing time at the beach. There may be a little more to fishing than would be explicable via the written word on this message board. While surf fishing is easy to learn, you would probably learn much of what you need to know by watching someone tie the hook, bait the hook, cast the bait, catch the fish, and release or keep the catch. I bet you have some fishing folks around your end of the beach. You will find some fisherpeople who are generous with their teaching and others who will not give you the time of day. Maybe you have to strike up non-offensive conversations with people you see fishing. The conversation could commence, "Having any luck? (Caught anything?) I have always wanted to learn to surf fish." Blah, Blah, Blah. You will find out quickly if the person is willing to give you some pointers. Don't expect to gain all of your fishing skills from one person.

I think Kurt's website has some pages on fishing, bait to use, photos of different fish found around here, etc. Check it out. I hope your hypothetical friend catches some dinner.

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

:lol:

Tell your friend to get a 2-hook rig and some shrimp or sand fleas for bait. Wade out and cast, place your rod gently into a rod holder (pvc pipe in the sand), sit back and enjoy the cold beverage of your choice while waiting for your rod to bend.

Use 1 or 2 ought stainless steel hooks and 2 or 3 .oz weight on the bottom. You can get all this at several places on 30-A. Yellow Fin in Grayton is a good place to get tackle, bait, and instructions as well as fish stories.

You can also just use a jig or spoon if you want to be more active.

[​IMG]

4. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

5. hutch

hutch Beach Lover

If you friend is in town on July 23 Topsail State Park on 30A is teaching the basic on how to surf fish at 9:00AM. Only $2.00 park entrance fee.

6. Travel2Much

Travel2Much Beach Lover

Thanks!! The topsail hill classes sound exactly like what my friend needs. I will keep an eye out.

I, of course, know tons and tons about fishing, but a tragic childhood accident with a trout makes me unable to convey my vast knowledge to hypothetical friends. :oops: