• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
I know the water can change due to the weather, but I was wondering if the water has been clear lately? My parents are looking to come to Seagrove for the first time maybe this weekend so I thought I would check on the weather and water! Have you had much seaweed this month?

I know silly question and they will come no matter what, just checking!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P5130016sm.jpg

I'd say that it is about the same color as the pool, but the light rain may have shaken it up a bit.

P5130006sm.jpg

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Yesterday there was a bit of Junegrass, but the water has really warmed up the last couple of weeks and is very enjoyable!!! The purple flags have been flying because of a large concentration of some type of jellyfish by the second sand bar, but we saw none over the weekend.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
delete

Last edited:

Hollibird

Beach Lover
I swam yesterday in Destin at the Crabtrap. they water has lots of junegrass and will only get worse until it washes onshore.also, we were building sandcastle and these stringy clear flat things were in the water, I was afraid it was worms. but weren't moving. about an inch long, but thousands of them.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P5140078sm.jpg
[imghttp://www.sowal.com/bb/gallery/files/2/1/6/P5140075sm.jpg[/img] From Seaside, today. Water is a little green with June Grass. Signs of a little bit washing onshore.

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
beautiful...mr. surfs says 76dgs. a little june grass but it's in patches...you can always find a crystalline spot...

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
Looks great to me; thanks for the information.

I now have a scientific question, is june grass the same thing as seaweed? I tried to search online, but didn't see anything about june grass that pertained to grass in gulf waters. I have seen a greener plant type floating in the gulf in the past, but didn't know what it was call so we just say it is seaweed. Does june grass have a real name?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
weeds_600.jpg

pokey, this is Sargassum Weed, which is often seen washed up on the beaches here.

June Grass is something totally different. It is an algae and has a stringy slimy feal to it while it is floating in the water. Once it lands on the beach, and dries out for a day or two, it becomes really soft like a really plush padded carpet. Some people say that it smells, but that is why man made houses. ;-) I'm not sure of the true name of June Grass. It just typically arrives around May or June, hence the local name.

Last edited: