• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

polo

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
Haven't been out this year for many reasons. Now looking to start fishing again. Can anyone give us an update on Pompano, Spanish Mackerel, and Speckled Trout off the beach or in the bay? Thanks.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Trout are supposed to be in the bays hitting top waters.

Brought three Pompano home yesterday caught on sand fleas. Also caught Lady Fish and Cats. Also caught two of the largest Cownose Stingrays I've ever seen yesterday. The largest was well over 30 pounds and took a good half hour to land. Wore my arms out on 12 pound test! :D

butterbean

Beach Fanatic
Jun 15, 2006
on friday caught a ray, redfish, bluefish,ladyfish, and a spanish, all within 2 hours, lotsa fish on surface in the surf, even more on the second bar or just beyond if'n you have a boat or kayak. bon chance

pattymcbob

Beach Lover
Dec 3, 2008
Hubby caught a redfish that was 29" on Friday (over the limit) which he threw back but also caught a nice pompano we got to keep. The last few days, he caught another redfish 26" we ate tonight, and a few ladyfish and catfish. The really strange catch today was a turtle that took a sandflea on a pompano rig. He was able to get the hook out (thankfully) and the turtle swam away, hopefully not harmed. In all of his many years of fishing here and his Dad fishing here many years, he's never heard of that happening. Anybody else?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Had a great time in the Grayton surf 2 nights ago. Little kids were scooping pinfish and croakers up for me out of the outfall. I also used sand fleas. Caught a bunch of ladyfish, no pompano, still a good sunset diversion on the beach.

polo

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
Went out on beach at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park on Saturday, 29 May, and the June grass was too much. If one were willing to wade out about 100 yards and fish by hand you could avoid the slime on the line but if you wanted to plant your rod in a rod holder on the beach, the line would be fouled in a few minutes. Looking forward to the June grass going away.

JT'sCrewatBeach

Beach Crab
May 31, 2007
Birminhgam, AL
Shore fishing rig and bait

I have not fished a lot from the shore. Should I use pompano rig and sand fleas? Would love to catch a few. Do you think the June grass will still get the line? Thanks -

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
June Grass is coming in along the beach and will clog your lines. Saw a big pompano swimming in front of me yesterday at the beach.

In the Bay, near the rivers, people are catching lots of Redfish using "Gulp" (brand) Shad.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
bluegrass 320, you will have more fun enjoying the beach than fishing, when the June Grass is in like it is. The grass may be spotty here and there, but even little bits, will catch on your line and when you DO catch a fish, you will have to clean your line as you try and real in your catch.

Pompano rig and sand fleas work well, minus the June Grass. Gulp also makes artificial sand fleas that work well, but sand fleas are plentiful on the beach right now.