• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
I was young and had no "skin in the game" when we got our bad storms(Opal). Things have changed over the last 20 years with wife, kids, house(s), etc. Given the ugliness going on in Houston, I am curious as to some of the lessons learned from some of you that have a few more years under their belt in our area.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Having been here (staying in South Walton) for every storm over the past 12 years, the biggest issue we (Walton County) faces is Storm Water Run Off.

It's pretty sad that the County Officials haven't gotten a darn thing done with Storm Water Run Off and we had our own "disaster" back a few years ago in April with over 30 inches of rain. I remember cars actually submerged on Thompson Road...

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
We rode out hurricane Eloise in 1975 in our house in Santa Rosa Beach. It was a full on direct hit. Very vivid memories of going outside as the eye passed. There was clear blue sky directly above with a curtain of clouds all the way around it. Not a whole lot of homes directly on the dunes back then, but there were a good number down in Dune Allen that got destroyed. Remember walking into a few that sat tilted at wonky angles. Reminded me of the old "magnetic houses" from the old amusement parks.

For those who don't go back as far as I do, Fort Panic in Dune Allen was originally a dutch A-frame house. While typing this I googled "hurricane Eloise pictures", and damned if it wasn't one of the first shots.

Our house is on the north side of 30A directly opposite Gulf View Heights Rd. The waves broke over the dunes at the end of the road. When everything had passed, we went to the beach. Ran down the trail on the dune and found myself in mid air because it had been cut back so far!

Funny story...Where 331 dead ends into 98 there used to be a giant wall of billboards that would grow vertically unchecked. My dad used to refer to that as the barometer in such that when the wall got high enough we'd have a hurricane or big storm that would blow them all down!

Lots of pictures out in Google-Land, but Destin was just a blip on the map back then so 99% of what pulls up is PCB.

Fort Panic.jpg

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
Having been here (staying in South Walton) for every storm over the past 12 years, the biggest issue we (Walton County) faces is Storm Water Run Off.

It's pretty sad that the County Officials haven't gotten a darn thing done with Storm Water Run Off and we had our own "disaster" back a few years ago in April with over 30 inches of rain. I remember cars actually submerged on Thompson Road...

That big rain from a couple of years ago actually gives me a bit of comfort as I had no standing water in my yard or road. I know it was rough for those down by Thompson Rd.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
One thing I know is that "high and dry" is temporary.

"High and dry" is a favorite phrase of realtors when speaking about land that can be built on and may be barely above sea level, which is most of SoWal. A lot of SoWal is wetlands, near wetalnds, or a large body of water, or even were wetlands before they were drained by mosquito ditches last century.

We could have a storm in which most of the land south of the bay is under water. Even a small storm surge and wave action is going to destroy most of our dune system. A mid-level hurricane passing close is going to leave the shore littered with walkovers, seawalls, geotubes, houses, and condos.

Take a look at SoWal Beaches Photo Archive | SoWal.com and scroll down to some of the storm photos.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
with the looming storm in the Atlantic, we need a lot of veteran storm people to opine and ensure that those new to our area know when to go... There are many more long timers with many years over me.

Evac Routes have improved a bit since last go around, but still lack any mass exit strategy. 98 was packet today with tourons... couldn't get to Publix. Can you imagine trying to get to Hwy 20 in Freeport???

It's really unfortunate that the BCC has gotten nothing done since that major flood... Its almost negligent...

Watch the NOAA site or another credible one to see what happens... could miss us or it could come into Gulf.

L.C. Bane

Beach Fanatic
Aug 8, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Oh boy. I cant even imagine what will happen to this area if a hurricane comes close. It will be a rude awakening to all of the post Opal developments. Especially south of 98, along 30a.

I think most people already know but here are a few common sense things.

The tourist are first to get evacuated, leaving the locals little gas when they tell us to go.

Staying behind is foolish and irresponsible if you have children. Emergency services are all but shut down.

The causeway has typically washed out on the North side of the 331 bridge.

Back when I had a house phone, I had an answering machine. If I called home and I didnt get the machine, I knew that power wasn't restored.

May as well have a pre-hurricane cookout/feast because the power will be shut off for safety and all of your refrigeated and frozen food will be compromised.

Plywood, generators, gas, etc. get awfully scarce and expensive just before a storm.

I don't think I will put the evac route, that I used in the past, on a public forum.

Most of the hotels within reasonable driving distances will be booked full.

I have had banking issues during storms so having cash to travel with is handy.

We have always turned evacutions in to mini vacations. May as well make the best of it.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
And, if there is even a remote possibility ut will be more than a Cat 1, leave. I almost stayed for Hurricane Andrew.....my 4000 home neighborhood was reduced to rubble. I had one friend who stayed, and lived....10 days later, as he told me the story, he shook like a leaf. Just leave.

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
Somewhat on topic, an excellent website for all things hurricanes is Mike's Weather Page... powered by Sparks Energy!. Also known as Mike's Weather Page. It a man named Mike down in the Tampa area who has quite the following. He's a weather geek. Follow him on Facebook too.

Also, Levi at Tropical Tidbits, Tropical Tidbits provides excellent, geek-level analysis of storms.

As of Sunday night, models have Irma pushing more westward before she turns North. One to watch for us for sure.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I just looked at the NOAA site and it is headed more westerly like it is headed towards the gulf. Mikes spaghetti was one tight wad headed right up the peninsula last night. This could get concerning...