• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Coming to a gulf near you! I remember someone discussing the possible good effects from a storm out in the gulf for our beaches. Can someone elaborate? Please let this storm go west...

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Re: Tropical Depression # 12

084619W_sm.gif

A little too close for comfort if you ask me. Yes, an indirect brush from a tropical system can bring more sand on the beaches. But as we saw with Arlene, there is a fine line between a "brush" and a "hit."

I would just as soon not take our chances with Katrina.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

... a small storm could help push sand back onto the beaches in most cases. I am really concerned that the scraping of the beaches has lowered the build up so much that even a small storm could wipe the beaches clean, instead of building it back up. In areas where they scraped, there is not much height on the beach, making the reinforced dunes more exposed to the Gulf waters.

PC

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2005
TN

My Wife and I are almost sick about this, we are heading down to Watercolor tomorrow for our yearly trip to Sowal. We feel for the people who live down there to have to go through so many of these things. Lets just all pray that it moves further west and south.

mhasper

Beach Comber
May 8, 2005

Looks like another disaster in the making for South Walton. National Hurricane Center now has it as a direct hit, and as a hurricane.

at200512_5day.gif

"Outlook valid 29/1200z 29.0n 86.0w
Max wind 65 kt...gusts 80 kt." That 75 mph, folks. And it could be higher too.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal

Smiling JOe said:
... a small storm could help push sand back onto the beaches in most cases. I am really concerned that the scraping of the beaches has lowered the build up so much that even a small storm could wipe the beaches clean, instead of building it back up. In areas where they scraped, there is not much height on the beach, making the reinforced dunes more exposed to the Gulf waters.
Smiling Joe is right! Scraping might best be done after the Hurricane season. The beaches may look even more barren after this next storm. So what's going on here? Are they scraping to reestablish dune lines, or trying to save our vocal gulf-front owners homes? Whatever happens, Walton County officials may need ear protection for coming meetings with the public.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa

mhasper said:
Looks like another disaster in the making for South Walton. National Hurricane Center now has it as a direct hit, and as a hurricane.

Boy, aren't you a positive thinker :roll:

It is WAY too early to predict landfall location with any degree of accuracy.

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest

JB said:

Especially with this one. Look at the huge cone that map shows. The hurricane models are all over the place with Katrina.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

JB said:

Maybe mhasper is planning for the worst and praying for the best.

If Pensacola is "targeted" again, how do you think the General Mgr for Pensacola Beach will respond to the question of why Mother Nature is targeting Pensacola? Last time he responded on National television that, "Mother Nature is a Motha."

Last edited:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa

No, he/she sounds like a classic doom and gloomer, and almost seemed to take delight in posting that news. BTW here are the latest models.

at200512_model.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.