Hurricane Katrina - IV

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by WaltonUndercurrent, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaltonUndercurrent

WaltonUndercurrent Beach Lover

Government Response

Hopefully, the U.S. government will spend as much money and provide as much man power for the people of New Orleans as they have for Iraq - maybe bring home the troops and send them to the coast?

2. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

Re: Government Response

Yeah. NOLA is going to have a rough time for days, weeks, months to come if the prediction and forecasts are accurate. I read your other post and my it was hair raising. The destruction is going to be devistating to NOLA even if it doesn't take a direct hit.

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Yes I am out of internet juice. I'm posting from the WC Inn. Most businesses are closed for the day. SJ and I have been out all day checking on things. I've got some photos to upload later.

Everything is basically the way it was after Dennis - back to square one on the beaches. But that is a relief. After seeing how high the water was yesterday I feared the worst today, but it didn't get much higher.

Things should be back to normal on the beaches in a few days. Hardly any debris to clean up and no walkovers lost that I've seen.

Some of the beaches have gained sand - and all that was scraped into piles has been spread out nicely! :D

4. wintersbk

wintersbk Beach Fanatic

Thanks Kurt & SJ! Stay safe! :clap_1:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  5. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

This is good to hear ;-)

6. WhiskeyRiver

WhiskeyRiver Beach Lover

Sounds good! Ya'll be careful! God Bless! :lol:

7. ktschris

ktschris Beach Fanatic

Thanks Kurt and SJ! :clap_1: :clap_1:

8. ladybug8876

ladybug8876 leslie lou

Great to hear from you Kurt, was getting worried. Again thanks to you and SJ. :clap_1:

9. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I posed the following post on Katrina III:
    "Does anyone know if Seagrove has lost power since yesterday afternoon, and if so, for how long? I'm trying to decide if I need to throw anything in the refrigerator away when I come down this week. Of course, like a moron, when I unplugged the TVs yesterday, I also unplugged the answering machine. I usually know that if it answers, we have power."

Thanks, Travel2Much and pgurney, for the responses. Yes, Landlocked, I really can be such a moron. I think it's from getting my brain fried as a Tulane student (but I adore that school!). LOL.

BTW Kurt and SJ, you are SOOOOOOOOOO nice for taking photos so that we can see what's going on down at SoWal. I mean, it's not like you couldn't be doing something more important, like doing your jobs, or taking care of family responsibilities, or just getting some a** time on the beach and drinking your favorite adult beverages!

10. Cil

Cil Beach Fanatic

I am really really glad that you guys are okay.

11. pgurney

pgurney Beach Fanatic

We're having a couple of good gusts right now. My first foam storm! Walked outside and splat, right on the cheek. LOL.

12. ladybug8876

ladybug8876 leslie lou

13. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we
    Kurt and SJ, what would we do without you? As usual you have provided peace of mind and sanity to those of us who are not in SoWal. You 2 are priceless! How about a frosty beverage sometime soon?

We'll be down to celebrate my birthday beginning the 8th of next month? :D

14. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

AS far as I know - no one has lost power. The winds haven't been too bad and we don't have any weak trees left around here to fall on power lines.

15. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Thanks muchly.

16. landlord

landlord Beach Lover

Kurt, Thank you and SJ for the info and your efforts..

Are you serious about some of the beaches actually gaining sand or were being facetious?
    Can't wait to see your photos later! :clap_1:

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Re: Kurt, Thank you and SJ for the info and your efforts..

I really think the levels of the beach appear to be higher than before the storm. That may be due, in part, to the imported sand being dumped on the beaches. You can see in one of Kurt's photos, the two septic tanks in Gulf Trace between two houses. They were sitting on top of the beach last week, and now they are almost covered. I think that may be what happened to the piles of concrete in Gulf Trace too. Your kids have some crappy treasures to uncover.

I just returned from another run down the beaches. Sustained winds had picked up on the beach and I would guess they were around 45-50mph with stronger gusts maybe around 60mph. Sandblasting continues so much that my camera and eyes cannot do much good.

As someone mentioned earlier, Hwy 30-A is closed off at Oyster Lake outflow. You will have to go around. It looks like they had a little trouble, but nothing that cannot be repaired. Chili Pepper, and most interior homes look good.:D

I will be posting more photos soon.

It will be much easier to assess any damages tomorrow. So look for more reports then.

18. Moondance

Moondance Beach Fanatic

Post from Katrina III:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rita
    :?: The sands not white.

Originally Posted by Smiling JOe
    You are correct. They never got around to capping it off with the required 3ft of white 8.1 sand. Go figure. I guess it doesn't matter anyway, because the beach will be a mix now anyway, due to the relaxing of the rules, and the lack of monitoring the work being done.

Quote from Moondance:
    "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me..."

We are smarter now and despite all the effort and angst, unfortunately, Dennis was a dry run. In terms of the beaches, at least, it would appear we are almost back to square 1. I suspect most of the issues after Dennis will be issues after Katrina. What should be different this time is that we (residents, citizens, landlords, neighbors, beach lovers/protectors) are better prepared and informed, largely as a result of information shared or obtainable on this board.

This time we are in a better position to monitor and report on all public and private beach replenishment and/or clean-up activities. We must expose any/all that do not meet applicable law, regulation, code, ordinance, local order, waivers of same, or good common sense :eek: !. I will be more vigilant, more insistent, and more vocal (privately and publicly) with respect to such beach activities. However, few of us can be in SoWal all the time, and kurt, SJ, and other locals can't do it all.

I encourage my friends on this board to get involved and active, think critically, ask questions, seek answers, and speak up... or at least make us all aware of anything that seems out of line.

Let's get r done right this time, hopefully paving the way for standard protocol for the foreseeable future.
    Now I'll get off my [​IMG]

19. landlord

landlord Beach Lover

Smiling JOe, Great news...thank you for the clarification...

I am certainly encouraged by your beach observations.
    Do you think Seaside's beaches fared well? I noticed that the sand that had been scraped and pushed up near the dunes seemed to still be there. :bow:

20. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I purposely stayed off the board this afternoon (stop clapping!) since I had been up watching things since 2:30am and started feeling like we knew more than the media!! Probably a fair call since we have SJ and Kurt, the MOST reliable, on the scene photojournalists ever!!! Thanks again...we are so blessed to have you on our side! MD..your call to action is heard loud and clear...but you knew that!! IMO, rather than sit idly by and go crazy with the flagrant rule breaking we have witnessed, I think we as a board of concern can continue to send the powers to be proof positive of what has and is going on down on the beaches there. Remember Blue Mountain Beach!, can be the battle cry! MD, you gave some of us good direction before concerning the GT problems...I will rely on you and those that have the ability to give real first hand knowledge of issues that I can pass on to the county comm. in our district. Thanks for caring about what so many of us hold dear...the beauty of SoWal! Please insert that cute smiley on the box here!!!! Thanks for your time...I feel better now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.