• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Very scary storm at this point. Dr. Lyons, reknowned Hurricane expert, was just on TWC and he said that Rita is an F-3 Tornado/Category 5 Hurricane. That is a monster storm the power of a major tornado, 360 miles wide, and a Category 5. :bang: I've never heard them categorize a Hurricane in terms of tornado strength.

He said that anyone on the western Louisiana gulfcoast and all along the gulfcoast of Texas should watch this storm closely and evacuate the area. He said that it may weaken to Cat 4 or so but may not. :bang:

We pray for everyone in this storms path. All stay safe.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
You think someone is trying to tell us something????
There's a saying that says God will keep sending the lesson until we learn it....

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach
They were saying on Fox today that we haven't really had a lot of major hurricanes in the past 30-40 years (except Andrew, really). They just said it was time. These cycles happen every few decades.

And to use hurricane language, it looks like we are in the brunt of it.

wetwilly said:
Very scary storm at this point. Dr. Lyons, reknowned Hurricane expert, was just on TWC and he said that Rita is an F-3 Tornado/Category 5 Hurricane. That is a monster storm the power of a major tornado, 360 miles wide, and a Category 5. :bang: I've never heard them categorize a Hurricane in terms of tornado strength.

He said that anyone on the western Louisiana gulfcoast and all along the gulfcoast of Texas should watch this storm closely and evacuate the area. He said that it may weaken to Cat 4 or so but may not. :bang:

We pray for everyone in this storms path. All stay safe.
[Re-post to WW post in a different thread]

Good points WW, however, be advised, even if it "weakens" to Cat 4 :eek: upon landfall, the storm surge of 20-25 feet will be in motion already and will not likely abate even as/if the storm weakens. Either way, see below from http://www.crownweather.com/tropical.html#AL18 :

Category Four Hurricane: Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Barometric Pressure 920-945 mb (27.17-27.91 in) Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of structures near the shore. Terrain lower than 10 ft above sea level may be flooded requiring massive evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles (10 km).

Category Five Hurricane: Winds greater than 155 mph (greater than 135 kt or 249 km/hr). Barometric Pressure Below 920 mb (Below 27.17 in) Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required.

So... get out! Godspeed to TX coast... Stay safe and be smart.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
destindreamin said:
You think someone is trying to tell us something????
There's a saying that says God will keep sending the lesson until we learn it....

If God is trying to send us a lesson, I imagine it is that no matter how "advanced" we are, no matter how intricate our systems, our sense of control is nothing more than a grand illusion. It is interesting to note that even nuclear weapons cannot approach the power of a hurricane. Maybe God is trying to tell us to stop focusing on "things," maybe He is saying we need to take better care of our planet, maybe He is pointing out we need to take better care of each other. Not bad lessons to ponder, whether God is actually sending them or not.

TooFarTampa said:
If God is trying to send us a lesson, I imagine it is that no matter how "advanced" we are, no matter how intricate our systems, our sense of control is nothing more than a grand illusion. It is interesting to note that even nuclear weapons cannot approach the power of a hurricane. Maybe God is trying to tell us to stop focusing on "things," maybe He is saying we need to take better care of our planet, maybe He is pointing out we need to take better care of each other. Not bad lessons to ponder, whether God is actually sending them or not.
Not sure about God messages. But I was listening to "the new Eagle" format (awesome) on several radio stations around South FLA this week. Funny you mention "Grand Illusion" since I listened to (and heard for the first time) the point of an old party song of mine and realized, as I often do these days, that the music and lyrics are damn good. To your point, consider the following:

The Grand Illusion
Written by dennis deyoung
Lead vocals by dennis deyoung

Welcome to the Grand Illusion
Come on in and see what?s happening
Pay the price, get your tickets for the show

The stage is set, the band starts playing

Suddenly your heart is pounding
Wishing secretly you were a star.

But don?t be fooled by the radio
The tv or the magazines

They show you photographs of how your life should be
But they?re just someone else?s fantasy

So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because you never win the game

Just remember that it?s a grand illusion
And deep inside we?re all the same.

We?re all the same...

So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because your neighbors got it made
Just remember that it?s a grand illusion
And deep inside we?re all the same.

We?re all the same...

America spells competition, join us in our blind ambition
Get yourself a brand new motor car
Someday soon we?ll stop to ponder
What on earth?s this spell we?re under
We made the grade and still we wonder

Who the hell we are?

tropicwatch

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2005
tropicwatch.info
Still a big storm but not quite as powerful anymore, thank God! Unfortunately a Cat 3 is capable of doing an enormous amount of damage. Hopefully the eyewall will cross in an area that is sparsely populated so the damage to infrastructure will be minimized.

Tropicwatch

Dabell

Beach Fanatic
Sep 15, 2005
New York
Some words from the wise. I allowed a few people to stay in my home ( rent free) They called me and asked me if they can come to me in Sowal on Aug. 27th I said yes sure you can. I needed to get back to NY by Sept. 2nd. I told them that I had to leave and they were welcome to stay until Sept 15. Well little did I know, My gulf power bill for the time they stood in my home was $175 ( not even 3 weeks) and they lied to me about their last names. This was someone I befriended in NY that lived in New Orleans. Just by this I hope I do not loose faith in people. I am trying not to. Yet, If any of you are looking to take anyone in your home, please be very careful.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Currently, it looks like a couple of models for Hurr Rita show it looping around and hitting close to this area from the north. If Rita re-enters the Gulf, it may not be pretty.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Currently, it looks like a couple of models for Hurr Rita show it looping around and hitting close to this area from the north. If Rita re-enters the Gulf, it may not be pretty.

Has this ever happened before in the Gulf? I've seen the hurricanes do loop-dee-loops in the Atlantic before.