Hurricane Shutters

Discussion in 'Rentals - Vacation' started by Rita, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

We're starting to research permanent hurricane shutters for our 2-story Florida cottage style home and would appreciate any input from those of you who have experience and/or knowledge.

One specific question I have is - Do the "Bahama Shutters" ("Key West Shutters") block out too much light :?: and do they work well in hurricanes :?:

2. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

The Bahamas block out a good bit of light - sometimes desireable. You might want a combination of Bahama and hinged, depending on where on the house they are.

Either type can be hurricane rated if built and installed properly. Most are not.

3. Buckhead Rick

Buckhead Rick Beach Lover

My wife has spent quite sometime trying to get shutters installed on the back porch of our Watercolor cottage, but the arrival of Ivan made availability hard to come by. Who provides quality product, a wide range of type, both movabable and non, good installation and at a fair price.

4. GVM

GVM Beach Lover

If you're looking for wood shutters, try Mark Moody with Coastal Millwork Services.He's out of the Atlanta area...but works in the Panhandle area. 850 699-2671. We were very pleased with the product and service.

5. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

Any chance he has a website?

6. GVM

GVM Beach Lover

Don't think so.

7. Buckhead Rick

My wife spoke with Mark today, she said he was very nice, but go figure, we're from Atlanta, she's at the beach, and he's here in Atlanta, where I am ,still working, until Thurs when I get to "go to the beach".
    Mark will be back down next week.

8. Buckhead Rick

our follow up, Mark backed away from the job, said he'de come but then said he could not make it. I can only guess too busy.

9. GVM

GVM Beach Lover

I noticed a "Hurricane Shutters" banner on one of the commercial buildings on the south side of Hwy 98 today...somewhere between the west end of 30-A and 395...I'm thinking it wasn't too far past the DoNut Hole.

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

That would be Hogan Lumber.

11. drsvelte

drsvelte Beach Fanatic

We've purchased Bahama-type shutters from A Shade Above on 83 just south off of 98. Made from aluminum with a variety of different colors available. Custom fitted and installed - not off-the-shelf. Responsive owners and quality work. Not cheap.

As you'd expect they're pretty busy right now and you need to anticipate a wait.

12. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

We just received two estimates for hurricane shutters, ranging from $30 to $50 per sq. ft. of area covered, depending upon what type you get. The Colonial shutters are more expensive, but look a lot better. We have so many French doors and windows that we decided to stick with plywood and local labor when things look bad.

13. Philip_Atlanta

Philip_Atlanta Beach Lover

anyone tried or looked at the 3M Ultra film as an alternative?

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Tell me about it. I have not heard of such a thing.

15. Philip_Atlanta

SJ -

3M Safety and Security Window Film helps hold your glass in place during destructive weather conditions, bomb blasts, explosions, or smash and grab burglaries. It helps maintain the integrity of a structure's outer shell to keep wind, rain and flying glass fragments from wreaking havoc inside the structure. Our films can also reject harmful UV rays, which cause fading and lower energy costs.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/...indowfilms/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

16. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

This product is not a substitute for shutters. It is a step up from the "masking tape" method. It stops shattered glass from flying across the room, but it doesn't prevent it from being shattered in the first place. The new building code requires that builders provide each new home with hurricane rated window protection. This includes hurricane wind rated windows, shutters, or plywood and screws.

Its too bad this won't work--it is an inexpensive and relatively easy "fix" but it just won't do the job.

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Of course I am not in the building industry so I do not know. Is this something new? I thought if they built the house to handle the wind load, that hurricane rated 140mph wind resistant windows were not necessary.

18. Philip_Atlanta

I agree, it isn't as good as the shutters as windows would still break. However; once they break it still stops rain, wind, etc coming in. For me the pro's to it would be its always "on" so to speak and, I assume, less expensive. The con, you nailed, you still receive damaged windows.

19. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

After Ivan we hired a shutter company and installed a combination of accordian shutters and lexan panels on our Seagrove house. We used the accordians on the 2nd and 3rd floors and lexan panels on the first floor. When Dennis arrived we were able to button up the house by ourselves in less than 2 hours. Almost more importantly, we were able to open the house back up by ourselves in less than 2 hours. To us it was well worth the cost of the shutters (they were expensive!) to not have to go through the stress of deciding what to do when Dennis headed our way. We plan to own the house forever, so the cost of the shutters seemed worth the peace of mind.

We boarded up the house last year when Ivan headed our way and we had to hire a crew (that was expensive too!). To get to the 2nd and 3rd floor windows was very difficult. Then after the hurricane, we had to get all the plywood off before our next guests arrived, for which we hired another crew. The patching and painting was a pain.

20. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

Construction started after what date would fall under the new building code requirements?