• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I need experienced advice on buried construction trash I found on my property. I have been immersed in the building business for about 20 years, but I know I need just a little more good advice in this situation.

I bought a property in a very nice development. The name of the development has nothing to do with the subject matter so please don't put me on the spot with questions about the development. Really, please.

I bought the lot which is nice, but while digging the foundation I found well over 5,000 lbs. of construction trash from the infrastructure work and other developer operations. It required me to change my foundation plans because of lost soil bearing capacity. Some of the trash was quickly recognized by me as discarded powder actuated fasteners. If you know what they are and what they are made of you probably understand why I would want some answers and remediation efforts.

The Developer's position is that I bought the property "as is". My experiences tell me I am going to require help in dealing with them.

Is anyone willing to give me a referral or any advice? I'll consider anything.

waltonco lover

Beach Fanatic
Aug 18, 2008
It may tie things up for a bit, but what about calling the DEP. This just doesn't sound right. Sorry for you luck, but someone should be held accountable for that.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I'd be inclined to call the DEP as well. And document, document, document- take a zillion pictures with a camera that date stamps them.

This is a great idea. As Waltonco lover says, it just doesn't sound right. What about code enforcement? Does this fall under the Land Development Code standards?

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
What development was it in? :D

That was absolutely classic. The best humor is sometimes the simplest and most obvious. And even though I love dry humor, without the smiley face, I may have sat and stared at the question in awe for a bit longer. In fact, even though the smiley face is right after the sentence, my initial reaction was, "Are you kidding me".

Thanks for the laugh. Seriously.