• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
We did not get much rain overnight. Everything is very wet outside but there is very little in our rain gauge. A good deal of little limbs down around the yard. Sorry to hear about the Balinese Ballroom. I had never heard of it but that truly was a historic place. Such a shame.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
South of Galveston, authorities said 67-year-old Ray Wilkinson was the only resident who didn't evacuate from Surfside Beach, population 800. He was drunk and waving when authorities reached him on Saturday morning. "He kinda drank his way through the night," Mayor Larry Davison said.

:wave:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I think Mr. Wilkinson was waiting for a friend to pick him up to evacuate, but said friend couldn't get back to him due to roadblocks. Friend probably went on a beer run, leaving Mr. Wilkinson to survive with a 6 pack! :clap:
I would need to be highly intoxicated to stay too. :rotfl:

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
South of Galveston, authorities said 67-year-old Ray Wilkinson was the only resident who didn't evacuate from Surfside Beach, population 800. He was drunk and waving when authorities reached him on Saturday morning. "He kinda drank his way through the night," Mayor Larry Davison said.

:wave:

God love em!
Glad you guys are ok and we pray for all the Galveston and Houston folks.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Miss Kitty, here's hoping Paw Paw's house was unaffected.

This storm is dumping lots of rain as it travels north and merges with a cold front. My sister called from Naperville, IL yesterday to say they had already gotten about 5 inches of rain and at least that much more was expected.

:wave:...this just in from PawPaw's neighbor....the huge double BA pine tree at the back of the house snapped and fell on the neighbor's garage, knocking the new fence down. There is a huge limb on PawPaw's roof and he doesn't know if it has been punctured. No windows were broken. Power came on for a bit yesterday and quickly went back off...that is somehwat good news, as it proves they are working on it. The neighborhood has trees down all over and some streets are blocked. Just think about this damage all over that huge city! Better news...Mr. K is back in town and is cooking a steak for PawPaw tonight! :clap:Sister is still w/o power, but her neighborhood Kroger is open and a neighboring commmunity has power. BIL's vet clinic is also w/o power and he had to get dry ice to save the vaccines. Theya re experiencing heavy rains today because of the cool front going through. Thank goodness...they need some cool DRY air w/o air conditioning!!! God Bless, Texas!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
:wave:...this just in from PawPaw's neighbor....the huge double BA pine tree at the back of the house snapped and fell on the neighbor's garage, knocking the new fence down. There is a huge limb on PawPaw's roof and he doesn't know if it has been punctured. No windows were broken. Power came on for a bit yesterday and quickly went back off...that is somehwat good news, as it proves they are working on it. The neighborhood has trees down all over and some streets are blocked. Just think about this damage all over that huge city! Better news...Mr. K is back in town and is cooking a steak for PawPaw tonight! :clap:Sister is still w/o power, but her neighborhood Kroger is open and a neighboring commmunity has power. BIL's vet clinic is also w/o power and he had to get dry ice to save the vaccines. Theya re experiencing heavy rains today because of the cool front going through. Thank goodness...they need some cool DRY air w/o air conditioning!!! God Bless, Texas!

Wow. Glad you got a report finally. PawPaw deserves a steak!!!
Sounds like Houston's working hard to get everyone back up and running. I saw where they were getting lots of rain. :eek:
My evacuee cousin just called. He's coming over today with the babies!:clap:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Acquaintences in Friendswood TX rode out Ike in their home. Power went out 10pm on night of hurricane.

Called yesterday (land phone lines worked) and all made in through safe and sound and house was undamaged, cars parked in driveway OK--tree in backyard damaged and fence wobbly. Neighbors' homes and occupants were OK as well. They spent last night without power. Power back on this morning (Sunday).

My prayers and thoughts go out to all those who are not as lucky.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
after this whole storm is sorted out, does anyone think about the "certain death" warning will make folks even more jaded about leaving the beach areas?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
after this whole storm is sorted out, does anyone think about the "certain death" warning will make folks even more jaded about leaving the beach areas?

Obviously, if you have enough liquor or a big enough drug stash, certain death means nothing. I am just glad the government agencies in Texas told these people...you are SOOL after 8 pm. I am tired of people being put in harm's way for IDIOTS.