• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
In the most recent issue of the Defuniak Herald/Beach Breeze there was an editorial letter entitled "Who's Running Walton County - Part Duex".

An interesting point at the end of the article mentioned something about it being time to incorporate Walton County south of the Bay.

Has anyone seen the article? Also, I know that some years ago there was a movement to incorporate the Southern part of the county.

What does everyone/anyone think of the idea?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Yes! Every morning I wake up wishing I had a little more bureaucracy.

And most likely- increased taxes to pay for the new bureaucracy.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Kurt and Beachsand summed it up for me.

What are the benefits of incorporating? And most importantly these days, who profits if we do?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I can never get a concrete handle on what is involved in incorporating. On the surface it seems to be a great idea and one that people in South Walton have been throwing around in different forms for a long time. I think there is a growing frustration with the huge percentage of money generated south of the bay but never the feeling that enough of that money (and decision making power) ends up down here.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
How does incorporating change that? I was told bed tax collecting and dispersal is decided at the state level, so an incorporated Sowal will not change that.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
It is the ad valorem taxes from south of the bay that historically have irritated people, because of the higher property tax values in the south end.