1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie Film Series at Seaside on Wednesdays

Discussion in 'Events and Activities' started by Seaside Rep Theatre, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Seaside Rep Theatre

Seaside Rep Theatre Beach Lover

The Rep Theatre in Seaside will be presenting a Potluck Indie Film Series that will run every Wednesday from Feb. 8 through March 1.

Films from all over the world were submitted for screening, and those who made the cut will be featured in the month long series.

The Indie Film Series will open on Wednesday, February 8 with the theme "Uncommon Families," which will feature two documentaries and one narrative dealing with families at turning points. February 15th will feature seven short films covering a wide range of topics.

A $5 donation is requested for admission. In the spirit of a "potluck" event, please bring an appetizer to share with other film-goers. Beverages will made available for a small donation.

6 pm - Food & Fellowship; 7 pm - Film screening
    Meeting Hall Theatre on Quincy Circle in Seaside
    seasiderep.org

2. steele mama

steele mama Beach Fanatic

Re: Indie Film Series

:welcome: Rep Theatre

3. Uncle Timmy

Uncle Timmy Beach Fanatic

Sounds like great fun! A nice mid-week social event. Now, I'll just have to figure out what food to bring.......

4. John R

John R needs to get out more

Wednesday Movies at The Rep.

i just finished setting this up, so...

The Seaside Repertory Theatre Presents, 2006 Indie Film Series
    In the Seaside Meating Hall theatre
    Admission: $5 donation requested
    Beverages provided
    6pm - food and fellowship
    7pm - showtime

In the spirit of a "pot luck' event, bring an appetizer for the other film goers to enjoy. the more to bring, the more to have.

Feb 8th - Uncommon Families
    Two documentaries and one narrative dealing with families at turning points

Lucky by Kristen Palana
    - The oldest daughter of a New York city taxi driver has dreams of becoming a doctor. can the future still hold surprises even when her life has been planned for her since the age of eight? This experimental documentary short will take you through five years in the life and arranged marriage of Lucky Kaur.

At The Point by Bruce Lane
    - A couple returns to their sea island home after a year apart. They are motivated to rethink their relationship by their close friends as well as the spirit of their daughter. Each travel the depths of their own guilt and denial and, with the help of the spirit-child, resurface again.

Wally by Bob Fink
    - This Cin?ma v?rit? style documentary explores issues of family loyalty in a modern society. The film follows the lives of a brother and sister, tied together forever by his assumed profound disability, after his overly caretaking parents die unexpectedly.

Total Running Time: 111 minutes

So, if you live here, i hope to see you there.

jr

5. tylerT

tylerT Beach Lover

Re: Wednesday Movies at The Rep.

wow, that's sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the heads up John!!!!! :lol:

6. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

It sounds like all the cool kids are going to be there, including GK!!! :cool:

I hope all of you who live here will come enjoy this unique form of entertainment!

7. steele mama

Hey, sweetie!! You should call Aunt Patterson and your sissies and make sure they know about the event! How did the radio spot go today? :wub:

8. Jennifer Steele

The Steeleings will be there! I'll call Patterson. Wish you were here!

9. steele mama

Mama is :sosad: and :D . :wub:

10. John R

see you there.

jr

11. steele mama

How was the "event"? :wub:

12. John R

not sure steeling1 will be able to answer ;-)

it was good. huge turnout, full room. we will need to figure out a different arrangement for the food though. the front door got choked up due to the food line being right there. we'll probably need to put it onstage, or outside(depending on the weather) for future weeks. thanks to all who came, and brought food. the movies were a little sobering in regards to content(see above) but enjoyable. i wonder if we want ot have some post movie discussion next times? we'll see if the films lend themselves to that. my only tech want, is a video switcher and a monitor so we can cue up to start point and send black when there's no image.

make reservations early, these will continue to sell out. 231 3033

jr

13. steele mama

:idontno: you think she is :sleeping: ? Sounds like you have some great process improvement ideas. I'm glad there was a good turnout!

14. John R

no, i'm sure she's up, grayton kid needs to be in school, i'm sure...

jr

15. Jennifer Steele

I'm up and working...my second job. Thank you very much. But last night went very well.

16. steele mama

Don't get huffy with me! :razz:
    I'm glad it went well and that you are having a great gainfully employed day!!!:wub: Did you hear the praise report from Oldtimer? THE GUY CHANGED HIS MIND BACK!!!!!

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Just a quick word to say thanks to all for putting on the production. It was a real treat and the seats filled quickly. Any chance for sitting on the floors next time for overflow? I could wear my PJs.:D

The films were interesting. We graded the films based on story, theme, cinematography and overall. The first film, I gave 7's across the board. (1-10 scale with 10 being the highest) The second film was a bit better and I scored 8s and 9s. During the second film, I found the story a little slow at times and found myself daydreaming about stories of my SoWal cartoon. The third and final film, I rated 10s all the way across. I would be tickled pink, and gladly pay to see this in a big theatre somewhere. I laughed and cried throughout the entire film. Well maid! Bravo! I even took a quote from "Wally" which is my current signature line below. :D John R or Steeleing1, any way to buy a copy of this film?

18. John R

joe, this is what i found by googling wally and bob. i can't remember the name of the production company. strongboy? maybe steeling1 could look on the case to find the name, and i'm sure you could trace the source from there.

jr

19. SoWalSally

SoWalSally Beach Fanatic

?Lucky? was the first film shown in Seaside Repertory Theatre?s new Indie Film Series. Her father bestowed Lucky?s unusual name on her the day she was born. Her parents are from India, but Lucky and her siblings have grown up in New York City.
    The customs of her native India dictate that Lucky wed a pre-arranged mate at age 18.
    Lucky postpones the marriage for one year to finish college where she graduates as valedictorian. During that year, her chosen mate is killed in an accident. However, as custom dictates, there is a second choice, which Lucky weds in India. The couple returns to the United States to help Lucky?s father run a motel in South Carolina and there birth a baby boy.
    The quality filming of this independent short is not the best, but its subject matter is. Shot in clips over a five-year period, it gives a first-hand look at a different set of customs.
    ?Lucky? was shown Feb. 8, however, the series runs through March 1. Movies are shown Wednesdays, beginning at 7 p.m. An optional potluck dinner precedes the showing at 6 p.m., at the Seaside Meeting Hall Theater.
    ?We?re not exposed enough to independent films and independent filmmakers,? said Craige Hoover, Seaside Repertory Theatre?s artistic director. ?We want to give young filmmakers a chance the same way people gave us a chance here at the theater. These films, made by small, professional filmmakers, give patrons an insight into how interesting the little guy can be.?
    Materials like film and distribution were cost prohibitive in the past for small filmmakers. Now all that is needed is hard drive space and to burn a movie to a compact disc, said Hoover.
    The film series may include a series of shorts or a single full-length film each week. Titles will be announced weekly and will include documentaries, animations and others. Film selections are appropriate for teens and adults.
    The series is free, but a $5 donation is appreciated. Seating is limited to 60 people. To reserve space or for film titles call (850) 231-0733.