• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Easternlake lady

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2013
Who do I contact for an injured duck (Loon?) ? He/she was found on the beach near the eastern lake outfall. He kept trying to fly or move his wings but couldn't. A man took him to the lake and the animal eventually (very slowly) made his way to the lake proper. Hope he'll be okay. Just for future reference, is there someone to contact about this? I know the sheriffs office is busy with human emergencies. Just can't stand to see an animal hurt!! :sosad:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Who do I contact for an injured duck (Loon?) ? He/she was found on the beach near the eastern lake outfall. He kept trying to fly or move his wings but couldn't. A man took him to the lake and the animal eventually (very slowly) made his way to the lake proper. Hope he'll be okay. Just for future reference, is there someone to contact about this? I know the sheriffs office is busy with human emergencies. Just can't stand to see an animal hurt!! :sosad:

Try Florida Fish and Wildlife first. I've seen and heard many people say they can never get an answer. Try Animal Control who will probably refer you to Florida Fish and Wildlife. Last but not least call the Sheriff's office and see what they are willing to do to help.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
image.jpeg I saw the loon over on the northwest section of Eastern Lake Wednesday evening around 7 pm. I walked up towards the shore (from land) not knowing it was there, at which point it scooted into the water and began to swim; seemed to be ok...

North Lake

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
Try Breeze Animal Clinic on Back Beach Road (850 233-7091). A few years ago we "rescued" a rather large seagull down on the beach at the Eastern Lake Pass that couldn't walk or fly. After trying FWC, Animal Control, Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge, and others, Breeze came through with flying colors. They accepted the bird (at no charge), kept us posted on its progress, and repatriated it to the beach when it had recovered enough to return to the wild. We did have to drive it down there in one of our extra dog crates, but that was nothing. Can't say enough good about them in this regard. Don't know if they still do this, but they showed a lot of heart in that instance.