• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Healthcare is pretty hot for the area. General business/retail sales though, that's going to be in the dumps for quite some time to come. The amount of available retail space right now is incredible.

Last edited:

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
The whims of the few have created our tourist industry. Until the voice of many stands up and demands some changes to our local and state policies governing regulations and codes, I suppose it will continue. How many empty buildings before adjustments are made? In fact, I think the answer to our local construction woes could be solved if they allowed industry to come in whereby people could actually earn enough money on their job here, to pay the mortgage! :bang:

Yes, what she said.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
uh.. lets see. been in the service industry around here for 20+ years and ...yea.. its a given ..October-March.....no..we are NOT making money.

But hey.. I am one of the few that still have a job.. so I am not complaining

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Per the NWF Daily news, Walton County was 6.8% and Okaloosa was 7.2% in September.

A .3% increase over August, but still the lowest in Florida except Liberty County.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
2008 year end unemployment rate was 4.4% for Walton.
underemployment rate was 95%
i just made up that last stat but the first line is probably just as useless.

lisaseer

Beach Lover
May 5, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach FL
Money?

What money? $9 /hr doesn't pay the bills for one person to live decently. If I work three full time jobs then, yes, I have money. If I work one full time job, then no, I have no money just lots of bills I can't pay and barely enough to eat. Hummmm. With all these beautiful homes around here, there must be some money, some where at around $90 an hour. Hummmm. I know my auto mechanic makes $85 hour and the doctor $300 hour, the vet around $266 per 30 minutes. Where is the educated middle class? Sounds like it is gone. The rich become richer and the poor work more and become more poor or die early due to sickness from over work. Paradise has its cost. I would rather move to where the middle class live, a city area or suburbs. My suggestion is to move which I plan to do once my son is out of high school in 2011. There is nothing here for me.

operationivy

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2008
I moved and I really didn't want to. It was depressing and caused me to have a slight nervous breakdown. I've been trying to live in this area most of my life. It is my home. I visited destin as a child and it was our "homebase" since we moved around so much. I've spent most of my life in this area. It is my home. But I just couldn't make it anymore. I have to say..... deeply exhales. Life is much easier where I've moved. I'm in a college town in GA-known for its music scene, so I've still got some pretty neat culture. Rent is a breeze! Jobs are a breeze. And I don't see any foreclosure or for sale signs. The constant negativity down there was killing me.... it is a disaster down there and you all are like the Katrina holdouts. I miss miss miss my water. I cry over it. But I'm starting to get used to "the real world." I'll be back.