• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

fragglerock

Beach Crab
Jul 8, 2011
Hello everyone! I am new the boards and I need some advice on the best place for us in SoWal. I am a planner and I'm looking at where to spend our summer vacation (for next summer), I've narrowed it down to the SoWal area and I'm leaning towards Rosemary Beach. We are a family of four, our kids will be 10 and 5 when we visit. We are looking for a family friendly place that's not too crowded. We will be driving from San Antonio, TX (are we crazy?) so once we're there, we would prefer not to drive too much. We will probably be spending most of our time on the beach with breaks by the pool. We will probably cook most meals in our rental, but I wouldn't mind a few restaurants around, in case I'm too tired too cook. Is the Rosemary Beach area right for us or should we be looking elsewhere? I have seen a few videos of the Rosemary Beach area and read some reviews and my main concern is that there doesn't seem to be much diversity. My husband is Mexican/Italian, I am black and our children are of course bi-racial. Are we going to stick out like sore thumbs? I only asked because we have visited some small towns where people look at us like we're aliens and we don't want to spend our vacation feeling like we're on display. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Hello everyone! I am new the boards and I need some advice on the best place for us in SoWal. I am a planner and I'm looking at where to spend our summer vacation (for next summer), I've narrowed it down to the SoWal area and I'm leaning towards Rosemary Beach. We are a family of four, our kids will be 10 and 5 when we visit. We are looking for a family friendly place that's not too crowded. We will be driving from San Antonio, TX (are we crazy?) so once we're there, we would prefer not to drive too much. We will probably be spending most of our time on the beach with breaks by the pool. We will probably cook most meals in our rental, but I wouldn't mind a few restaurants around, in case I'm too tired too cook. Is the Rosemary Beach area right for us or should we be looking elsewhere? I have seen a few videos of the Rosemary Beach area and read some reviews and my main concern is that there doesn't seem to be much diversity. My husband is Mexican/Italian, I am black and our children are of course bi-racial. Are we going to stick out like sore thumbs? I only asked because we have visited some small towns where people look at us like we're aliens and we don't want to spend our vacation feeling like we're on display. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rosemary would be a good fit. You'll only get funny looks if you pay attention to them but I don't think it will be an issue. :welcome:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't think any area of 30-a is any more diverse than another. Lots of white folks everywhere (and we stare at them too, so please come and add some diversity).

If you come during the summer, all of the areas will also be the same amount of crowded (though our definition of crowded varies greatly from other places).

Rosemary or Seaside are your best bets if you want easy access to amenities like restaurants and stores without driving.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Rosemary Beach is perfect! Lots of great restaurants and friendly people. Keep in mind we are a resort area and the families visiting are mostly from medium to large cities where diversity reigns.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
A bit west of there, Julian Bond has had a vacation place in the Destin area for years. It's a 98% white area, but my take on the Rosemary Beach, Watercolor, Seaside types of properties is there's an assumption that if you can afford to vacation there, you belong there.

If you get into Destin-FWB or Panama City, there are actually a good number of mixed race families, frequently military folks.

Last edited:

whatiscmr

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2011
It's unfourtunate that in this day and age that race is still an issue. Having said that, I would think anywhere along 30A would welcome you with open arms. You are the bread and butter for the area, so don't let someone that takes a second look at you take away from what will be a wonderful vacation wherever you decide to stay.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Rec. Watercolor for a family resort vacation. Next to Seaside and close by Grayton so large selection of restarunts and activities on property and within walking or biking distance. While Rosemary is nice, it is at the extreme east end of 30a so driving is necessary to get to much else not in Rosemary. See www.Watercolorvacations.com or call 850-534-5000. Large selection of houses and condos as well as the AAA 4 Diamond Watercolor Inn.

Rosemary is where we stayed while we were building our home in Seagrove. We enjoyed staying there. Liked the different pools, especially the covered pool so we didn't have to worry about sunburns. Liked the restaurants. No rental is too far from the beach to walk there (as it is in Watercolor), and there is a traffic light for crossing 30A. Didn't build there because the houses are too close together and it's too far from a lot of the restaurants we like. But if you're just staying for a week, you'll be happy just staying there like we used to.

Advantage of Seaside: It's the focal point for restaurants/shopping/activities in 30A.
Disadvantage of Seaside: Because of the above, it's too chaotic, and there's too much traffic. If I had a 5-yo, I wouldn't let go of his/her hand there.

That's why we like Seagrove. It's right next to Seaside and an easy bike ride for even a 5-yo when supervised by an adult (be careful at the 395 intersection). I wouldn't want my child on a bike in Seaside (too much traffic) or Watercolor north of 30A (no bike paths, a lot of on-street parking, so kids have to ride bikes in the middle of the street).