Is shark fishing allowed from the beach?

Discussion in 'Sports and Recreation' started by 30ABandMan, May 25, 2009.

1. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

I fish around here alot and grew up fishing in Destin and from the Okaloosa Island pier. I know that shark fishing is not allowed from the pier but is it OK from the beaches here in Sowal?

My family and I were fishing behind B and A's yesterday and encountered two tourist shark fishing. They had caught a couple of small sharks and released them IN the surf near shore. I casually asked them if it were legal and one of them expressed the same concern. The other person was down right crappy about it and said the it didn't matter one way or the other. He was just visiting, it didn't "look" like he was shark fishing so no one could say anything to him.

I know that sharks abound in the surf and most of the time go unnoticed, I just think it is careless to draw them to the surf where bathers are.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

No.

3. ASH

ASH Beach Fanatic

I assumed it was illegal, but searching through the MYFWC website, cannot find anything specific. I'd be interested in hearing the specific wording myself.
    :popcorn:

4. 30A Skunkape

Where is Smiling Joe when you need him? He has cited the regulation before, and I ma sure he will come through for us again.

5. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

I believe that it is a county ordinance over in Okaloosa, not from the state.

6. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

That would seem to be a hard thing to police.

7. 30A Skunkape

Hard to police and being illegal are two different things. It made me sick to throw back some unbelievable red snapper last week as the season does not open until June, but anyone who goes fishing should want to follow the rules. Besides, attracting sharks to a beach where people are swimming is as stupid an idea as it gets.

8. John

John Beach Fanatic

I agree. What you describe is certainly no place or time for shark fishing.

Here's what I found on this so-called "Internet":

Sec. 22-40. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach.Sec. 22-40. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach.

(c) Fishing. It shall be unlawful for any person:

(1) To fish in the Gulf of Mexico after having been warned by any law enforcement officer that the health and safety of bathers is being endangered; or

(2) While on the beach or within 2,500 feet from shore to intentionally fish for sharks or to fish by those methods commonly know as "chumming" or "bloodbaiting."

Nothing in this section shall be construed to create a duty on the part of any county employee to prevent fishing or to warn of the presence of sharks in the Gulf of Mexico.

If someone is acting in a way that endangers others, I recommend calling the Sheriff's Dept. or the FWC.

Best regards,

9. IRIETYMES

IRIETYMES Beach Lover

We're down for the week at Inlet Beach and yesterday some local guy was fishing with five rods at the Inlet Beach access, caught two sharks identified as Black Tip sharks, both about 4' and seemingly very tired from the struggle they put up to not be caught and both were released within twenty feet of several dozen beach goers. Crazee!!!!!! Like chumming with swimmers. Hehehehe

10. Joe

Joe Beach Lover

Saw a gentleman yesterday by the Watercolor/Grayton line fishing for Pompano and all he caught was two sharks. The first was only about 12" the second was a 2-foot Bullhead. Both were released back into the water. He was not intentionally fishing for sharks but happened to catch two of them.

11. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

A normal person could look at the size of the hook or bait and tell if someone was intentionally fishing for sharks. If you have half of a Mackerel on a big@ss hook, you are fishing for shark.

Yes, there are people who will catch sharks, not fishing for sharks at all.

12. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

I agree, you never really KNOW what you're going to come up with but you can pretty well guess. The guys I approached has steel leader, bug hooks and a slab of bonito about the width of a deck of cards and 1.5 times as long.

Plus the one said they were doing it.

13. butterbean

butterbean Beach Fanatic

and if you have a hunk of mackerel and a big hook you may be shark fishing but I don't think you are breaking the law.....

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

why not? do you not think the ordinance, posted above, is correct?

15. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

where is the above ordinance from? .... state? county? If they were using bonita that would probably be considered "bloodbaiting" due to that type of fish.

16. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

I think it is all part of the beach activities ordinance. But since it is affecting the habitat of animals and you might hook a turtle I would look for it to be banned soon.

17. John

John Beach Fanatic

It's from Walton County. I don't think it's unlawful in Bay County and I'm unsure about Okaloosa County. It references INTENTIONAL shark fishing, the way I interpret it.

I don't make the rules, nor am I an enforecement officer.

18. croixbum

croixbum Banned

Lady Fish Bait

Would cut up ladyfish be considered shark bait? I guess the big question is are ladyfish legal to use as bait. I know that they give off a lot of blood, some guy on the beach said they could be used for bait.

19. greenroomsurfer

greenroomsurfer Beach Fanatic

20. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Yes, they can be used as bait but what are you fishing for? They are boney and a bit bloody. You may be able to strip them for blue fish I guess. I catch everything out there, Pompano, Reds and Skip Jacks on sand fleas. But bait and jigs are good for blue fish.

John and Lynn at Yellow Fin are a great source of face to face fishing info.