• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

This past week I drove my daughter to the airport so she could visit a friend out of state. On the short drive I passed a blazing red Lamborghini and a sparkling silver Ferrari California on highway 98. Amazingly, the entire drive home to Santa Rosa Beach I was behind an impressive McLaren 570S. A McLaren. On highway 98.

For those of you who aren’t car people, suffice to say that’s pretty tough to do in Beverly Hills on an average day.

Continue reading...

What do you think? We all need community feedback, ideas, suggestions ... please share!

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Great article, Jason. My husband and I bought a lot in Grayton Beach over 15 years ago to build our retirement home. As SoWal started changing, I really miss Patrone's, we have listed it and unlisted it. Our little piece of paradise was changing and we didn't like it. But change is unavoidable and after looking around at other areas, we've decided to stay with SoWal. As far as Luxury Locale, it's good and bad IMHO.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Paradise Lost.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
John G said:
30a will systematically be destroyed.
Some would say that began with the development of Seaside.
Not necessarily I. Although, large mansion homes on small lots wouldn't be my 1st choice.

Let's face it. 30A is the panhandle's "Malibu". The place has been purposely marketed to attract new money. And that new money likes to go large or go home...and they ain't goin' home. Every build able square inch will be developed. Then every square inch will be redeveloped.
From another thread...

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
We purchased our lot before Watercolor. Feels as if it all started with Watercolor.
True that St Joe's entry into real estate development changed everything for SoWal. Leucadia Corporation's development of Rosemary Beach before that was proof that Seaside was not a fluke and was not the end of new urbanism in South Walton.

Big money and big interest came with the maturation of Seaside and the planning of Rosemary Beach.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Because the area is changing it means we should continue to work even harder to preserve the beauty and character. Don't just roll over and give in to the development and greed. Don't reject change but manage it and plan for it.

Maison Bleu Properties

Beach Comber
Feb 9, 2016
There have been many communities that have experienced exactly this kind of effect and have been able to remain special amidst the change. Change is inevitable and, out of all possible outcomes to be stuck with, becoming a luxury locale isn't a bad thing. It's how we all manage it going forward that counts. For me, Im actually hoping things like local government (e.g. the county commission) improve in quality and professionalism as the demographic here changes. That's key for keeping this place special and growing with the times in the right ways.