• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
I was wondering if other vacation home owners could tell me if this year has been a typical rental season? I'd be interested in knowing if the recession has had an impact or not. Thank you.
:cool:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Our place at WaterColor seems to be right on target with last year, which was our best year yet. We began renting in the Spring of 2003.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
2007 was our best year overall.
2008 was good but not as many shoulder bookings. Just a tad down.
2009 - we were booked for 5 weeks in Spring which is good, but we gave discounts. We had one empty early June week, but the rest of the summer is booked, after giving a few discounts. Almost every email from VRBO is asking for a discount. This will probably be a down year for us, but not terrible by any means. Bookings are coming in later.
We've been renting our house in a prime Old Seagrove location since 2001. We have a lot more competition now than we did when we started.

BTW - We have many return guests and the feedback they are giving us is that Seaside is more packed, especially at night, than they ever remember. Doesn't look the economy is down to them. I think this is partly due to some family friendly and good food choices. Our guests also say that they are pleased with the changes in restaurant choices in Seaside.

NewUrbanGirl

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
Good year for us. Have booked 200+ nights/year for the past four years, this year is no less, maybe will end up with more than average. Also, happily, we have early booked a couple of months for this winter.
Personally, I refuse to participate in the recession. :D

Sheila

SoWal Insider
We're having a great rental season this year. A little slow at the beginning, but really picked up speed after Spring Break. I am still answering inquires and we are booking into August and beyond.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
One Seagrove Place we have the best rental year to date and we have owned it about 10 years. Every year has always been better than the year before, other than 2005, which after that hurricane season I'm sure everyone was down. We are already pretty well booked into the fall.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
It seems to me that WC has been better than ever and I've been there since it opened. No numbers to quote but I see the activity on a daily basis. I think people opted for a drive-to vacation this year and between the swine flu and drug wars nobody in their right mind would go to Mexico.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
Thanks everyone for your insights. This is our first year renting and I was trying to gauge if this year was average or not. We've had pretty good success and hopefully next year will be even better! Can't wait to make our "maintenance" trip in October!

:funn:

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
For the watercolor owners are you seeing any resistance being so far off the beach? i'm about 1/2 the distance of watercolor to the beach and i'm worried about resistance to that.realistically how many total weeks of the year can one rent? how are rentals in may and sept and oct? out of those 3 months or 12 weeks whats a reasonable rent time? can you get 8 weeks or so out of thos 3 months? i'm living down here my first summer of owning and to be honest it doesn't look that crowded and i've been ciming here every year since 1990. thanks