• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
In spite of the unusually cool spring temperatures and even cooler water temps, the fishing has been quite exceptional. Now that the weather patterns are beginning stabilize, the nearshore/inshore angling has absolutely turned on.

This past week, an offshore venture in search of big amberjack, yielded an additional catch of two cobia that were attempting to eat a hooked up AJ. Angler 2: Cobia 0. The past two days found us fishing largely nearshore with the objective of catching fish on very light tackle (10 lb test) and fly gear. In two days, we caught and released more than 100 amberjack with all but perhaps a dozen of legal size (27" minimum) with many, many caught on topwater lures and popping bugs (flies). King mackerel, cobia and barracuda were also on the menu. All (including the cobia) were caught and released.

It just gets better from here on out.........www.angryfishcharters.com 850.622.0611

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Angry,

When you say 'near shore', how near are you talking about? I'll be down in a couple weeks and I'm going to give it a shot.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Angryfish,

Good to hear the report from the gulf. It's just as hot in the bay, with unusually high numbers of flounder for this time of year. Trout and redfish bite is consistent, I've had more hits on doa's than live shrimp! And you're right, it only gets better from here on out!

Tight lines!

hutch

Beach Lover
Chrisv;

Do not want you to give up your honey holes. But are you catching more fish east or west of the midway bridge or north south of the bay? I glad to see the water in bay is clearing up. Late or eary morning. If you want mullets try Mack Bayou area around 3-5PM. I saw six or seven dolphins feeding this afternoon.

the hutch

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
Angry-
I'm coming down in 2 weeks and considering doing some fishing. Are you available the week of June 5 - 11th? I've never been deep sea fishing, but have caught alot of large-mouth bass here in Texas.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
hutch said:
Chrisv;

Do not want you to give up your honey holes. But are you catching more fish east or west of the midway bridge or north south of the bay? I glad to see the water in bay is clearing up. Late or eary morning. If you want mullets try Mack Bayou area around 3-5PM. I saw six or seven dolphins feeding this afternoon.

the hutch

Hutch,

No worries! Most of my fishing is the east end, usually anywhere between mid-bay bridge and 331. I was reeling in trout and reds in the Hogtown grassflats Saturday. Flounder seem to be everywhere. The 331 causeway is good for reds, trout, flounder and just about anything else. Early am is best, followed by early evening.

Thanks for the tip, I need to pull out the cast net and try to pull in some mullet.

cv

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
If I get into some flounder while I'm down, does anyone have any suggestions on how they are best cooked? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Landlocked said:
If I get into some flounder while I'm down, does anyone have any suggestions on how they are best cooked? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

They're kind of delicate so grilling is tricky, but they're good any which way. Simple saute, fry, baked . . mmmmmmmmmmmmm

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Landlocked said:

You can filet flounder, but it's difficult and I think it takes away from the fish. As Kurt said, too delicate to grill.

I prefer them whole. Cut off the head with an angled cut behind the gill, angled back toward the bottom. ( >)))/>, the slash being the cut) Remove innards with running water (easy) and then scale. I then diamond score the sides, kind of slanted checkerboard style. I then apply my secret rub, then lightly flour.

I have my skillet at a medium to medium high heat, with about 1/4 inch of olive oil. Pan fry to a golden color, only one flip. I like to serve with an apricot glaze.

Eat both sides, skin and all. This method leaves the bones in, but rarely do you have problems with them breaking off into the meat.